Note: This is not an entry level position, please see the requirements below
Great location. Rockstar coworkers. Lifesaving apps.
As a game developer, you know the impact games can have. Imagine taking that to a new level—Level Ex—by creating games for medical professionals to hone their skills and provide better patient care. Using our cutting-edge mobile, AR, and VR titles, doctors practice high-risk procedures with the latest medical devices and experience the thrill and challenge of performing actual surgery.
Located in Chicago’s desirable River North neighborhood, Level Ex’s fast-growing game studio recreates medical scenarios that replicate the complexities of the human body: custom-built GPU-based fluids, tissues, and soft-body systems that look and react like the real deal. In addition to state-of-the-art graphics, supported by the latest generation technology, we employ a broad range of game mechanics and physics tech—collaborating with acclaimed surgeons to produce the best games for doctors. Games increase dramatically in difficulty as players progress, and feature compulsion loops, flow channels, and deliberate gameplay balance.
With hundreds of thousands of downloads, Level Ex has earned the trust of the country’s leading physicians. Join our award-winning team of designers, developers, and artists in keeping doctors across the world performing at the top of their game.
We’re now looking for a talented VFX Artist to join our development team.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Working closely with our art director, artists, designers, and others to create a wide range of high fidelity, real-time visual effects using both 2D and 3D elements
- Working with engineering so that visual effects are optimized to run at defined frame rates and fit within technical constraints and memory limitations
- Maintaining clean and organized assets and file structures along with identifying and creating best practice workflows
- Working with production to create time estimates and completing visual effects as defined by schedules
- Troubleshooting and providing fixes to visual effects bugs, as needed
- Researching new software solutions and trends to keep pushing the visual effects bar in our games
Who We Want To Meet
- 2+ years experience working in a game development environment along with mobile game experience
- 1+ games shipped as a credited VFX artist
- Thorough understanding of the Unity FX pipeline and using Unity3D
- Experience using Maya, along with knowledge of animation pipelines
- Excellent FX texture drawing/creation abilities in Photoshop
- Experience with real-time particle and fluid systems like; Houdini, Maya Fluids, RealFlow, Bifrost, Fume FX, etc.
- Demonstrable understanding of motion, timing, color, texture, form, and how to create visual impact
- Shareable online portfolio highlighting your best realistic-based visual effects
Bonus Points For
- Shader technical experience
- Experience with node-based shader editors such as Shader Forge, Unreal Material Editor, or Amplify
- Experience in XR development
- Traditional animation experience
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
How We Make You Happy
- Creating games that genuinely make a difference in people’s lives
- Competitive salary
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401k plan with matching, flex spending account, and commuter benefits
- Unlimited cold brew coffee, beer, and tasty snacks
- Flexible, reasonable work schedules in a team-focused environment
Please send your resume, an online link to your portfolio, and a cover letter telling us why you think you’d be perfect for the position using the provided link. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
No Agencies/Recruiters, please
Candidates must be authorized to work and accept new employment in the U.S.