MSG Ventures is looking for a software engineer / generalist with strong Unreal Engine (UE4) experience to develop, code, prototype, and implement cutting edge techniques, tools, applications, and content for large-scale real-time games and interactive experiences for MSG Sphere. Working with a group of other game industry veterans, this position benefits from a broad range of skills across real-time graphics/shaders, tool creation, and hardware integration. In addition to deep and broad software development expertise, the ideal candidate will have shipped project experience and bring a passion for scaling technologies from prototypes to real-time massive multiplayer experiences.
Specific Functions/Activities SUMMARY:
- Design and develop large-scale real time rendering techniques, components, tools, and demos to provide game platform solutions that can scale for mass interactive live events.
- Collaborate on the design and integration of the Unreal Engine to meet the needs of our test site platforms and venue hardware.
- Collaborate closely with other developers, artists, and designers to scale up new types of mass interactive games.
- Research and support proofs of concepts with various partners and vendors.
- Collaborate closely with our Interactive Concept Group and other departments to share pipeline innovations and improvements as well as helping to integrate our game platform and tools.
- Write technical documentation and clearly communicate complex solutions and challenges, even to non-technical staff.
- Stay current on relevant technology and conduct necessary research, due diligence, prototyping, and testing to assess emerging technology options.
- Attend and report in daily scrums and bi-weekly sprint planning sessions, reviews, and retrospectives in accordance with Agile best practices.
- Computer Science BS, MS or PhD degree preferred or equivalent experience
- 4+ years professional experience with Unreal Engine 4 with both C++ coding and Blueprints experience is required
- 3+ years knowledge of real-time graphics techniques and HLSL or GLSL shader code is required
- 4+ years of professional game engineering or related field experience required
- Working knowledge of implementing and prototyping large environments/worlds, AI character systems, visual effects, particle systems, and animation systems highly preferred
- Experience with Unreal networked multiplayer systems (i.e. Actor Replication, RPCs, etc…) is preferred
- Additional C#/Unity experience is a plus
- Extensive domain knowledge in video game production pipelines is highly preferred
- Experience with XR (AR/VR/MR) HMDs is highly preferred
- Excellent communication and team interaction skills is required
- Self-motivated, with little guidance needed, and an ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize tasks for each in an agile manner
- Interest and/or secondary skills in another key game development discipline (Game Design, Cinematics, Modeling, Animation, Art, Audio) a plus
- Applicants should provide their own code samples for tools or playable games along with technical design documentation