Filament Games is seeking a Unity UX Designer to collaborate with our closely knit team of game development professionals on a variety of new learning games and interactives. As a UX Designer, you will craft playful, highly usable interfaces and interactions that bring clarity to a wide range of subjects. Key responsibilities include designing, testing, and iterating upon comprehensive user flows, wireframes, paper prototypes, and motion proofs, and implementing your design using Unity UI tools.
We’d like to see someone who:
- Has demonstrated experience designing usable, engaging interactions for games
- Constantly seeks to improve and enrich our users’ experience
- Is comfortable iterating upon and polishing designs, art assets, animations, and other deliverables
- Thrives in a highly collaborative, cross-disciplinary environment
Include a cover letter, a resume, and a portfolio (preferably web-based) showcasing your very best work. We are looking for comprehensive game-centric digital design solutions, detailed process notes, and strong visual designs.
- Design digital interactions that are easy to learn, a pleasure to interact with, and augment the user’s comprehension of the subject matter
- Work iteratively with the game design team to translate pitches and storyboards into wireframes/mockups/prototypes/animatics that explore and communicate the design
- Revise work according to critique, changing requirements, and user and stakeholder feedback
- Collaborate with Illustration team to generate comprehensive UI asset lists and translate wireframes/mockups into game-ready assets
- Effectively utilize motion design principles to amplify input and “juice up” feedback
- Use Unity UI tools to build responsive layouts
- Familiar with game development pipelines and technical constraints, particularly with respect to UI integration
- Demonstrated ability to use visuals and motion to clearly communicate complex interactions
- Strong animation skills with a good sense of motion and timing
- Technical art experience
- Comfortable designing in a wide variety of styles
- Experience building games in Unity
- Imaginative problem solver
- Passionate about games, design, and technology
- Driven to create exceptional designs and to constantly improve your craft
- Comfortable sharing, inspiring, brainstorming, and communicating ideas and concepts
- Empathy, not ego: committed to understanding and empathizing with users, always open to design input and iteration
- Desired Skills
- Strong visual literacy: layout, color, visual hierarchy, and typography
- Demonstrated ability to build cohesive, visually appealing UI assets
About Filament Games
Filament Games is a game production studio that creates digital learning games and interactives. Our mission is to create playful experiences that improve people's lives. We believe that games are a powerful way to engage and inspire learners, and we approach game design by translating learning objectives directly into meaningful gameplay mechanics and playful curriculum materials.
Benefits: Filament Games is an awesome place to work. Why?
Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Through innovative educational games we’re working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a healthy balance between work and play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this. For example, we have flexible work hours, causal dress everyday, grill outs, sketch comedy classes, Show-n-Tells, and the occasional paintball battle.
Our stylish office is located on the top floor of 316 West Washington Ave, and offers stunning views of the heart of downtown Madison, a lively city with a world-class university, burgeoning tech industry and beautiful state capitol. Downtown Madison is a vibrant, active urban center with fun weekly events like Concert on the Square and the Farmer’s Market, and offers access to a variety of eclectic restaurants, music venues, and the best of Madison’s nightlife.
Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, short & long term disability, a Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, subsidized bus fare, discounted gym membership, profit sharing, and unlimited paid time off.
Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, religion, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.