Filament Games seeks a talented and self-driven unity game engineer to join our team in creating next generation learning games and technology solutions. Game Engineers work intimately with an interdisciplinary team of professionals and play a key role in carrying product development through conception to execution. A Game Engineer II is largely responsible for:
- Core system architecture
- Implementation of unique game-play mechanics and complex user interface
- Regular iteration and maintenance of the above systems
- Constant communication with other developers and production
- Implementation of game-play features and improvements
- Troubleshooting and delivering solutions to programming defects
- Troubleshooting deployment issues
- Documentation of key algorithms and interfaces
- Revising of work according to critique and judicial use of programming best practices
- Estimation of time to complete tasks
- Daily communication with team members and production
- Limited travel to facilitate and review in-classroom playtests
Measures of Success
- Completion of features in a timely manner
- Delivery of sprint builds and releases on time
- Constant improvement and refactoring of existing code
- Prioritization of tasks to minimize roadblocks
- Contribution to internal framework needs
- Uncovering of potential issues before they happen
- AS/BA/BS in CS or similar, or equivalent experience
- 2 years professional/indie game development experience OR 4 years of other relevant software engineering experience
- Credited as a programmer on at least two shipped titles or playable games
- Proficiency in one of the following game engines: Unity 3D (preferred), Unreal, Phaser, Cocos2D, or Flixel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge of fundamental OOP concepts
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to work in the A-Z game development process – from concept thru design, development, and delivery
- Creative problem solver
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- Self-driven motivator
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, collaborative, entrepreneurial environment
- Curious with experimenting with the latest developer technologies and standards
- Passion for learning and learning games
- Experience developing games for tablets and web browsers
- Experience developing multiplayer games
About Filament Games
Filament Games is a game production studio that creates digital learning games and interactives. Our mission is to create playful experiences that improve people's lives. We believe that games are a powerful way to engage and inspire learners, and we approach game design by translating learning objectives directly into meaningful gameplay mechanics and playful curriculum materials.
Benefits: Filament Games is an awesome place to work. Why?
- Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Through innovative educational games we’re working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
- We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a healthy balance between work and play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this. For example, we have flexible work hours, LAN nights, grill outs, sketch comedy classes, Show-n-Tells, and the occasional paintball battle.
- Our stylish office is located on the top floor of 316 West Washington, and offers stunning views of the heart of downtown Madison, a lively city with a world-class university, burgeoning tech industry and beautiful state capitol. Downtown Madison is a vibrant, active urban center with fun weekly events like Concert on the Square and the Farmer’s Market, and offers access to a variety of eclectic restaurants, music venues, and the best of Madison’s nightlife.
- Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, short & long term disability, a Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, subsidized bus fare, discounted gym membership, profit sharing, generous paid time off and extended holidays including a paid Christmas break!
Please note: Specific information or materials are requested for some job postings. Be sure to include the requested information, or your application will not be reviewed.
- Why did you decide to go into game engineering as a career? Where do you want to be in your career five years from now?
- Describe the steps a short-circuit Boolean evaluator would use to evaluate the following expression and write the finale value as TRUE or FALSE:
Let apples = 5, bananas = 6, isSmiling = FALSE.
isSmiling || ( apples > 5 && bananas <= 6 && !isSmiling ) = ?
Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, religion, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.