Volition is searching for a System Designer with demonstrated ability to implement systems that meet the needs of targeted player types. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record designing various game systems that drive player progression and rewards for Triple-A, open world games.
Work on cross-discipline teams to design and develop gameplay systems for the product. Specific responsibilities may include player progression, rewards, missions, open world gameplay, combat and/or other systems. For each area of responsibility, the System Designer is expected to do the following:
- Understand how the system fits within the strategic overview of the product design
- Ensure that the player experience fulfills the vision of the game
- Drive the quality, planning, scripting, pacing, implementation, and polish of the system
- Provide input on milestone work assignments, estimates, and dependencies for related goals and tasks
- Ensure deliverables meet expectations for completeness, quality, balance, vision, and player emotion
- Ensure that relevant team members understand high-level goals for the system as well as low-level specifications, dependencies, and workflows
- Communicate with other design groups and disciplines to understand and document their needs
- Evangelize for the needs of the player. Work with user experience researchers to define goals for player testing and data gathering
- Drive an on-going competitive analysis to assess the quality and scope of the player experience against that of the competition, with a focus on player engagement over the short and long term experience
- May be tasked with other duties and responsibilities in support of the project design team
- At least two years of professional industry experience with significant responsibilities in systems design related to player progression
- Positive, professional attitude. Disciplined and self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Ability to think creatively and analytically. An in-depth understanding of how gameplay works and how to create fun, meaningful experiences for the player
- Comfortable working with complex data sets.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills. Ability to multitask and be flexible about changing role requirements
- Passion for games and ability to articulate that passion clearly and analytically with a broad knowledge base of console games
Sample Work Required
Please provide samples of your design work. Downloadable and playable levels are preferred, but other samples may be acceptable (e.g., videos or instructions for viewing levels shipped in retail products). Any supplemental materials demonstrating skills relevant to this position are also encouraged.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter and sample work to email@example.com with “System Designer” in the subject line.