You will lead the engineering team on one of our growth products with a full team of developers, designers and artists as well as support from our user acquisition and data science team. Party in my Dorm is a highly popular free-to-play game in the middle of rapid growth and we need your help. Currently, the game has the population of a small city, with a player driven trade economy, a passionate community and years of content. You will drive the technical vision and implementation of this game to the next level, and grow our player base so it rivals the size of a small country. Be a part of our world-class live operations team as we scale this game into the top of the charts. You will also get a chance to work on our other live games.
You will be working on Team Leviathan which is home to our world-class live-ops team. The team leads the industry in supporting and growing games, some of which have occupied the Top Downloaded and Top Grossing charts historically. We design, build, release and improve on huge new features and we aren’t afraid to try new things, take risks, and learn. The team is metrics driven and entirely autonomous in it’s decision making.
Things you will work on:
- Design and implement in-game features to increase retention and monetization
- Develop tools as well as data and content pipelines to amplify the productivity of game designers, artists, and engineers
- Define the technical vision and roadmap for multiple mobile products
- Establish best practices and processes for the development, testing and deployment of code
- Lead the technical project management for the team, including task prioritization and progress tracking
- Oversee the engineering resources for your team, and contribute to the hiring of engineers company wide
- Grow and guide the careers of the engineers reporting to you
Who you are:
- You have an itch to make something people want and enjoy working on massive scale technical problems that reach a huge audience
- Experience working on a live mobile product and have a strong understanding of mobile application architecture and content pipelines
- You are a full stack engineer with the ability to drive the development of both client and server side implementations of scalable services used by a large number of concurrent users
- Extensive knowledge of database design and structure
- You have developed and launched new features, evaluated their success and iterated in a live environment
- Experience with data analysis, KPI impact analysis and metrics based decision making
- You have led an engineering team, leveling up other engineers through management and mentorship
- Project management experience with the ability to prioritize product needs against timelines for implementation, resourcing constraints, and current product KPIs
- You communicate your thoughts and ideas clearly in code and in writing
Tell us if you have:
- Have worked on any cool side projects, games, open source projects, or anything else - show us what you've built!
- Have any experience working with Django, MySQL, iOS or Android
- Worked on or shipped any mobile games
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should:
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail, you experiment and learn from your mistakes
A Thinking Ape is an independent mobile games developer with big ambitions. We are a team of 65 people + 5 dogs (depending on the day), growing in the heart of downtown Vancouver. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together. So far taco bars are our favourite, but we're open to new suggestions.
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: both our team and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating something that becomes a part of their lives. But building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give you the freedom to do your best work.
We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape all-hands meetings, mid-quarter updates with our leadership team, monthly Ask a Founder Fridays, and regular 1:1s with your lead.
Looking for more information? Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today and learn about our culture by following #thisisata on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA Co-Founder and CEO, talk about what it’s like to work here.
We value passion and diversity and believe that our differences make us better as a collective. If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!