Our Software Developers drive, innovate, and execute engineering tasks on our games. You will support the technical vision and implementation of the Hyper Hippo games to help us evolve and take our game to new heights, growing our player base and helping create new features that continue to bring our fans back for more. Scaling our games into the top of the charts, you’ll have an opportunity ensure our games and features maintain optimal performance continue to engage our players around the globe.
Why this Role is Made for You:
You March to a Different Beat
You’re not looking for a job, you are looking for a challenge and the opportunity to be more than a Dev who gets handed a ‘task’ and develops. You are hungry to bring your own ideas into the studio and have the opportunity and tools to create your masterpiece.
You’re in the Driver’s Seat
You’ve tackled interesting problems around localization to help your teams deliver seamless games across multiple geographies that are optimized for performance and fun. You’ve suggested new ideas and even implemented a few new tools to help your teams work smarter and anticipate challenges down the road. You’ve also helped grow your team, mentor other developers and provide strategic leadership to your team.
Our Culture - Happy Life, Happy Hippo.
We care about making great games because we love games and are rewarded for our hard work in spades. Our benefits and working vibe encourage and allow you to live your dreams in Kelowna: an affordable, picturesque, and diverse city, only an hour flight from Vancouver, BC Canada.
Our next Software Developer will have (a):
- LOVE for video games
- Creativity - everyone here gets to design the games we make
- Ability to rapidly prototype game ideas, but also write scalable code when needed
- Self-sufficiency, ability to unblock yourself, do your own R&D and create solutions independently
- Ability to write code that is easy to read and debug
- Proactive in sharing knowledge with peers
- Strong work ethic – ensuring products are in a shippable state before communicating that it is done
- Strong communicator sharing project status, dependencies, risks, costs, and options
You’ll Bring to Hyper Hippo:
- Computer Science/Software Engineering degree or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years commercial experience with Unity and C# (school projects are valuable, but we’re looking for more experience)
- 5+ years game programming with a focus on backend development and implementation of microservices – you know all the best practices.
- Proficiency in both 2D and 3D game development
- Ability to interface with RESTful HTTP data services for authentication, player data, etc.
- Experience providing cross-device solutions that address performance, reliability, security, and scalability issues
- Implementing analytics into a game
- Having launched one or more titles on iOS, Android, or Web
- Knowledge and expertise in making networked multiplayer games is an asset, but not required; Photon or uLink is a plus
- Git SCM
- Build Pipelines, specifically Jenkins/Hudson
- Agile/Scrum development
- Asset Packages and dynamic content loading
- Server administration (Apache or nginx configuration)
- Understanding of FTP
Every Hippo is an entrepreneur. Here at Hyper Hippo you - yes, YOU - are the master of your destiny and the creative expert of your domain. Say goodbye to the days of meeting after meeting and embrace the chance to own and be accountable for your success. We enable our team to create beautiful and fun experiences that our global community love to play. We answer to our players, not shareholders and the entire studio is invested in the success of our games.
"Wait, what?! This isn’t how game studios operate!”
Well, we’re putting the creative power back in the hands of our team to help us explore, fail fast, and create amazing games. We are disruptive in our approach to management and assume that if we’ve hired you, YOU are the best person to lead and direct us within your area of expertise.
You’ll make decisions that you’ve never had an opportunity to make before and toggle between the bird’s eye view of supporting the game development process and the granular details to ensure we’re on schedule, within budget and most importantly - having fun while doing it.
When every person in the studio is accountable for their realm of expertise, something magical happens. We make great games. This is because we innovate (and fail) fast and support one another to be the best version of ourselves.
Welcome to Hyper Hippo.
- Competitive salary
- Extraordinary profit sharing program
- Health Benefits
- 3 weeks vacation and 10 personal days per year
- Relocation Support
- Annual self development budget to attend conferences, courses, training – you name it