very very spaceship is a motley crew of space faring game designers, engineers and artists from the Pacific Northwest and beyond. For the past three years, under the leadership of BAFTA winning founder Sean Vesce (Never Alone, Tomb Raider Series, Mechwarrior Series), we have been solving the problems of the unknown for incredible partners like Google, Niantic Labs, Microsoft, and others. We are a tight knit group of makers thriving in our undiscovered future, making shared game experiences with AR, VR, Geolocation, Live Streaming and more. For the last few years we have been working with Niantic Labs on Transformers: Heavy Metal. In addition to our client work, we try to make time for our side projects like the VVS Peregrine, and our various itch.io goof games
very very spaceship is now recruiting for a diverse expansion to our crew to support upcoming missions. We are currently on the hunt for an exceptional Senior UX/UI Designer. Qualified candidates are energetic self starters, adept at managing several creative internal projects at once and handling an evolving schedule of events. Candidates are inclusive by nature and naturally motivated to support others to achieve beyond their own expectations.
As a Senior UX / UI Designer, you will be an advocate and voice for our players, serving as a team leader, coach, instructor, individual contributor and critic in the development of delightful and rewarding game interfaces.
In this role you will work closely with the Art Director, Creative Director, Visual Designers, User Researchers, Front-end Engineers, Business Analysts, Copywriters and more to ensure the User Experience and User Interface of the games we create align with our core values while meeting the goals of our partners.
- You love collaborating with others; they should also love collaborating with you.
- You are comfortable presenting ideas and workshopping ideas with stakeholders.
- You are a compelling storyteller, able to build empathy and convey the mindset of our players to the broader organization.
- You are passionate and have strong opinions about usability.
- You have the ability to ask meaningful and impactful questions while being an excellent listener with keen attention to detail.
- You can convey concepts through sketches, flows, wireframes, interactive prototypes, etc. - whatever method you determine to be the most efficient and effective to gain alignment and support from your team.
- You have a maker mentality and desire to grow and develop new skills
- Maintain and improve holistic UI/UX guidelines, methods and systems
- Act as the voice of our players, representing the User Experience to the team and external stakeholders
- Develop and maintain the development roadmap for improving the UI and experience of using the product, including feature prioritization and development strategy
- Collaborate with the dev team to translate designs into functional UI systems
- Engender high quality design practices and process throughout the entire development lifecycle from research, ideation, strategy, interaction / visual design, implementation, refinement
- Foster a collaborative, productive and positive creative environment
- Work closely with our usability team to propose usability tests to validate the UX
- 5+ years experience in a UI / UX design role
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates your experience, storytelling, and design presentation skills
- Ability to work well in a fluid environment as creative challenges evolve
- Experience in Adobe CS, Figma, Invision, etc.
- Strong interest in games and game development
- Experience with AR/VR
- Curiosity of new industry trends and best practices
- UX/UI in Unity implementation experience
- We are in a hybrid work environment at this time, so remote work is possible but you must live (or relocate to) the Puget Sound area. Our studio space is in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle.
- It starts with creating fun, intuitive and novel game mechanics
- We judge our work based on how it plays, not how good the specs read
- We prototype more and pontificate less
- Everyone at VVS is a jack-of-all-trades
- Everyone is expected to roll up their sleeves and get messy
- We actively listen to our peers regardless of discipline or level of experience
- We stay positive, especially when we find ourselves in a jam
- Above all, we follow a principle of “Core before More™
very very spaceship is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other trait that makes you, you. The more inclusive we are, the better our work is.