Hardsuit Labs is looking for a talented Senior Systems Designer to join our team and help us create exciting new gameplay experiences! You’re comfortable working with engineers and designers alike to develop engaging systems that turn button presses and trigger pulls into in-game experiences that keep players coming back. As a Senior Systems Designer, you inspire and mentor other members of the Design team. You’re able to drive large and complex design challenges, with the understanding that you’ll maintain ownership and communication to deliver long term initiatives. You know how to transform a simple shootout into a challenging combat experience that will players remember for years. You know the difference between a good camera, a bad camera, and a great camera. You know how rock, paper, and scissors really feel about each other. You can make a knife work in a gunfight. You really love Excel.
Understand the vision. Maintain and champion the project vision set by the Creative Director. Deliver on the vision by interpreting project Design Pillars and insuring alignment of in-game systems and features.
Interdepartmental collaboration. Work with multidisciplinary teams through all stages of development to own and support large systems and features that improve content and functionality of the game. Work with product partners and vision holders to prioritize changes and influence delivery goals.
Mentorship. Provide mentorship and guidance to the junior members of the design team. Share your knowledge, skills, and experience to facilitate the growth and development of the team.
Communication champion. Work with multiple disciplines, ensuring that the correct stakeholders are involved and informed throughout the development process.
Documentation. Own, write, and maintain relevant documentation.
Hands-on Development. Take combat systems from prototypes through production, final tuning, and shipping.
- 5 years of experience in a design role on a high-profile game project(s).
- Experience with a variety of systems including combat, dialogue, player progression, etc.
- Ability to conceptualize and communicate engaging gameplay systems and to own specific systems over the lifetime of a project.
- Ability to effectively communicate and track design needs and goals across disciplines.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Familiarity with UE4.
- Previous console development experience.
- Programming language: C, C++, or equivalent.
- Game scripting experience using Lua, Python, etc.
- Strong UE4 experience.
Required Application Materials
- Must be willing to complete a design test.