Proletariat is seeking a Senior Prop Artist to join us in our work on World of Warcraft. In this role you will fill out the game’s world with new items that WoW’s characters will carry, wear, and interact with, from a simple melted candle, to a legendary weapon, to an Orc battle wagon. You not only know how to tell a story with props, but can also concept, model, and texture them from start to finish. The ideal candidate is a skilled 3D Artist and illustrator who creates tastefully stylized art that serves the needs of gameplay, real-time performance metrics, and artistic vision. You are a patient and empathetic communicator and love taking ownership on projects.
- Collaborate with our Art Director, Concept Artists, Game Designers, and Software Engineers to design and iterate on 3D in-game assets.
- Concept, prototype, model, and texture props for various cultures in World of Warcraft from sketch through production quality, including modeling, UV mapping, texturing, and lighting
- Create 2D hand-painted textures (with no photograph overlays)
- Work with performance in mind to ensure that assets meet performance budgets.
- Complete technically sound art within agreed-upon production schedules and with minimal direction.
- Solicit and apply regular feedback from Leads, Art Director and other collaborators
- Communicate with Producers to maintain clear and consistent goals, and generate and meet time estimates
- Explore a wide variety of ideas that will push WoW's style and engage players’ curiosity
- Mentor and offer feedback to more junior Prop Artists, motivate peers toward excellence
- Be a strong force in upholding a welcoming and respectful atmosphere for collaboration, communication, and creativity, with an emphasis on the values of diversity and inclusion
- Extensive experience concepting, modeling, and texturing high quality prop and weapon art for games, animation, or film
- Portfolio examples that show an understanding of traditional art principles including shape language, color theory, and visual storytelling
- Portfolio examples that show experience in stylized material pipelines
- Knowledge of technology, terminology, and techniques of game art development, including an awareness of real-time development needs
- Software experience such as 3ds Max or Maya
- Excited to work together with other artists, improve visual skills, learn new techniques and applicable technology.
- Experience working in a collaborative, iterative, agile environment.
- Strong communication skills; readily shares knowledge and information with others
- Self-directed, enthusiastic, positive, embraces critiques.
- Understands the audience and appreciates games.
- Experience animating objects is a plus
- Cover Letter
- Link to your portfolio
What we offer
- Healthcare, dental, and vision, most of which are 100% sponsored by Proletariat to cover you and your family.
- Flexible PTO Policy with a focus on minimum time away, rather than maximum.
- 401K plan with generous matching contributions.
- Wellness reimbursements and discounts
- Flexible working hours.
- Our office is currently still remote, but we look forward to moving to an optional hybrid model in the future. If you’re based outside of the Boston-area and you’re not looking to relocate, we understand! Just let us know your situation during your phone screen conversation, and we’ll see if we can accommodate making a remote hire!
Proletariat values a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.