MSG Ventures is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to lead our multiplayer efforts to architect and provide the necessary game networking guidance and solutions for our mass interactive games and experiences. As part of a small team of game industry veterans, alongside our industry partners, you will play an integral role in researching, designing, and prototyping large-scale multiplayer technologies for integration into our game platform for live events with thousands of concurrent players at MSG Sphere. In addition to deep and broad software development expertise, the ideal candidate will bring a passion for scaling technologies from prototypes to real-time massive multiplayer experiences.
Specific Functions/Activities SUMMARY:
- Collaborate closely with the Director Interactive Software to research, design, prototype, and provide long-term massive multiplayer solutions and tools for our real-time interactive experiences that can scale to thousands of simultaneous players.
- Guide the selection of backend services such as matchmaking, orchestration, and social features that can power our game platform.
- Design solutions and tools for testing and scaling networked games through scripted and AI simulations.
- Research, communicate technical needs, and support proofs of concepts with various partners and vendors.
- Collaborate closely with our Interactive Concept Group and other departments to integrate game platform solutions and tools into our games and mass interactive experiences.
- Write technical documentation and clearly communicate complex solutions and challenges, even to non-technical staff.
- Stay current on relevant technology and conduct necessary research, due diligence, prototyping, and testing to assess emerging technology options.
- Attend and report in daily scrums and bi-weekly sprint planning sessions, reviews, and retrospectives in accordance with Agile best practices.
- Computer Science BS, MS or PhD degree preferred or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of professional game engineering or related field experience with published titles required
- 7+ years of experience developing multiplayer / networking solutions is required
- Experience with backend services for multiplayer matchmaking, authentication, and orchestration is required (i.e. Multiplay, Playfab, Gamelift, etc..)
- Experience working with backend cloud providers is required (i.e. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc..)
- Experience with C# / Unity game engine is required. Additional C++ experience with Unreal Engine 4 or other game engine experience is highly preferred
- Familiarity with lower level protocols, TCP, UDP, etc. with a strong understanding of how to mitigate issues of latency, bandwidth, and state synchronization is required
- Excellent communication and team interaction skills is required
- Self-motivated, with little guidance needed, and an ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize tasks for each in an agile manner
- Working knowledge of securely integrating and wrapping external APIs is preferred
- Applicants should provide their own code samples for tools or playable games along with technical design documentation