Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity, the largest independent video game developer in Austin, is comprised of a tightly knit group of experienced, no-nonsense veterans committed to solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
Certain Affinity is seeking a Senior Gameplay Systems Designer with extensive experience designing and implementing gameplay systems for both single and multiplayer games.
This is a rare opportunity to join a world-class independent developer with one of the strongest multiplayer design teams in the industry, then help us reach new heights by increasing our strength in designing fun and accessible gameplay systems for players to enjoy for years to come.
- Work closely with the Creative Director and Lead Designer to design, prototype, and foster core gameplay systems, including player mechanics, game mechanics, game modes, inventory systems, etc.
- Must be able to iterate, balance, and adjust gameplay elements such as combat mechanics, player and NPC abilities, collectibles and player progression to create a fun and balanced experience for all types of players
- Create design documentation that clearly and concisely communicates the requirements and vision of the system for the client, from internal developers to marketing and external developers
- Analyze data and player feedback to continually optimize and improve the existing game experience
- 5+ years of game design experience, including 3+ with systems design experience and at least one full development cycle as a systems designer.
- Proven ability to create innovative gameplay systems and to enhance existing ones
- Great collaborator with an uncanny knack for seeing the issues underlying any criticism or complaint
- Passion for playing games and understanding the systems that drive them, especially AAA shooters (1st and 3rd person)
- Must be willing to get your hands dirty implementing and balancing your designs
- Proficient with various scripting languages (Java, Lua, Python, Perl, Blueprint, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience documenting technical designs
- Excellent ability to multi-task and to adapt easily to change
- Highly self-motivated and able to self-manage
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- A deep passion for games
- Experience designing player character classes or enemy and/or NPC AI.
- Experience with other facets of design (level design, encounter scripting, UX/UI, etc.)
- Experience developing on multiple console, PC, and/or mobile platforms
- Data analytics experience
- Strong programming background
- Bachelor’s (BA) degree from accredited four-year college or university or equivalent experience
Certain Affinity also offers relocation for this position to assist you in the move to Austin, Texas.