About Offworld Industries:
Offworld Industries Ltd. (OWI) is the independent studio behind the successful military first person shooter game, “Squad”. OWI was formed in 2014 by more than 15 developers who had worked together on the well known Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2. The founding purpose of the team was to bring a standalone successor of this acclaimed mod to market and build a game development studio and a livelihood from that foundation.
Fast forward to 2020, OWI has nearly 80 employees and is rapidly growing. We have been expanding the studio into both serving as a publisher supporting mods, as well as a technology provider building a framework for character based multiplayer games based in UE4.
We are built on passion, unified spirit and continuing efforts to break the mold. We strive to become a leader in creating large-scale multiplayer games as well as supplying others with the ability to do the same. We are looking for a talented Senior Game Programmer for our current and upcoming Unreal Engine based multiplayer games. If you are passionate about making great games and a team player, we are looking for you!
About the role:
As a key contributor, you should be a proactive member in both the design and development processes, who is able to drive the delivery of major systems, difficult features, and serious bug fixes. You should be able to own and drive the design of new systems with only minimal assistance from peers, and able to assist other more junior programmers with working on the systems you have designed.
As a mentor, you should be able to recognize teaching opportunities for other programmers when they arise, and be willing to guide team members to successful outcomes, both inside and outside programming. Providing accurate and constructive feedback during peer reviews is key to this.
As a role model, you should hold yourself to a high standard and be comfortable setting a good example for the other members of the team. The code that you write should be clean, performant, easy to maintain, future-proof and well architected code. When writing code you should be able to adhere to clear coding standards as second nature, and be able to contribute to the improvement of those standards. In general when building systems you should be inventive and finding ways to push the envelope with our technical solutions.
- Being one of the key contributors in Unreal Engine based multiplayer games.
- Advising, designing, prototyping, implementing and refining core game systems.
- Analyzing, identifying and improving game performance.
- Adapting to unfamiliar areas of code or concepts when investigating a problem.
- Work closely with the rest of the programming team to assist in development, to be a positive contributor to improvement and integration of new code.
- Coordinating with the testing team to work on fixes for bugs.
- Working with members of other departments on cross-department features [e.g., sound, animation, VFX].
- Integrating third-party SDKs and Unreal Engine updates.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 6 years full time experience working as a software engineer; preferably within the games industry.
- At least one shipped game title; preferably using Unreal Engine.
- Excellent understanding of C++.
- Experience with game engines, preferably Unreal Engine
- Familiarity with command line tools and operations.
- Experienced using modern software engineering practices such as peer reviews, scrum, CI/CD and testing
This is a full-time permanent position, where the successful candidate will be working from home.
This role offers:
- Competitive salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Wellness spending account
- 6 weeks vacation including a paid annual week-long company trip
- Wonderful colleagues!
If you meet the above qualifications, and OWI sounds like the kind of company you want to be a part of, please apply now with a cover letter, a copy of your resume and a copy of your technical portfolio.
Offworld Industries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap, financial ability or any other characteristic protected by law.