Come be a part of gaming history! Hardsuit Labs is looking for a Senior Environment Artist to join them in working on one of the largest AAA game franchises in the world. Join a world class group of artists and designers, bringing your talents to bear working on games that will be played by millions.
Hardsuit Labs is looking for a talented Senior Environment Artist with a deep knowledge of environment art principles and techniques to join the team. The Senior Environment Artist works closely with the Lead Environment Artist, Art Director, and other departments to create detailed, story driven environments, inspiring visuals and stunning in game environments. As a Senior Environment Artist, you will enjoy creative individual contributor work, and be a valued mentor to your colleagues. A successful candidate will also bring a solution-focused approach to problem solving, is equipped with excellent communication skills, and have a deep knowledge of the tools of the trade.
This opportunity is for a full-time, benefits eligible position in Seattle, WA. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all positions at Hardsuit Labs are subject to remote interviews and work.
What You Will Be Doing
Create Inspiring Game Art
- Support the artistic vision and project goals by creating inspiring visuals and stunning in game environments.
- Create and refine detailed photo-realistic environments, landscapes, and props.
- Take ownership of and execute on the construction of environment zones, prop/asset lists.
- Assemble environments based on concept art and pivot based on direction.
- Maintain a high level of quality while working within design constraints and balancing game performance.
- Work independently to a high level of quality solving visual and technical challenges.
- Ensure that the visual identity and quality bar of environments are met within required deadlines.
- Evaluate and implement quality improvements and art direction across large environments.
Environment Art Process and Tools
- Work with art leads to investigate and prototype emerging technologies and improved workflows.
- Contribute to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product's visual style and encourage artistic evolution within the studio.
- Support the Lead Environment Artist and Art Director to establish and maintain guidelines and requirements for environment art assets across the game.
- Help build and maintain documentation and asset management pipelines.
Communication and Collaboration
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with your team-mates, working group colleagues, art directors, and production leads.
- In collaboration with Lead Environment Artist, provide peer mentorship to members of your team, train, and or provide feedback and guidance regarding the visual tone of their work as needed to support project quality/goals.
- Participate in departmental meetings in order to shape the experiences and areas of the game from start to finish collaborating with Design, Concept, and Technical Art disciplines.
- Self-starter. Able to work with minimal input and be comfortable working in and leading other artists in team environment.
- Any other duties as assigned by Studio Leadership.
What You Will Bring
- 5+ years video game or equivalent experience creating high-quality environment assets in a real time rendering engine; experience must include art for console or PC for AAA titles.
- Expert in Physically Based Rendering (PBR) workflows.
- A deep understanding of spatial composition, lighting, and building believable spaces.
- A portfolio demonstrating high-quality realistic modeling and texturing.
- Proven eye for telling a narrative through environmental set dressing.
- Strong visual and technical understanding of 3d modeling, texturing, and level creation (Worldbuilding)Demonstrate an excellent knowledge of relevant 3D and 2D software such as Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop, Substance Painter, and Substance Designer.
- Able to scope work, adjust quickly to changing requirements and deadlines.
- An eagerness to learn new tools and processes.
- Experience collaborating with other disciplines especially lighting and VFX.
- Previous experience with, training and mentoring artists.
- Excellent communication skills with proven ability to own, write, and maintain relevant documentation.
Nice to Haves
- Previous experience working in Jira and Confluence.
- Experience with Houdini software.
- Experience with Photogrammetry software.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 (UE4).
- Speed Tree experience.
- Traditional art background a plus.
- Experience with level design and layout.
- Résumé and portfolio.
- Must be willing to complete an art assessment, if requested.
Employment Eligibility Requirement
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.