Schell Games is a highly talented group of artists, programmers, producers, and game designers led by game industry veteran Jesse Schell. We're the largest full-service education and entertainment game development company in the United States. Since 2002, we've worked with world-class clients and partners to create interactive experiences that engage and inspire players of all ages across all platforms. Presently, we are focused on virtual reality, augmented reality, location-based experiences, and social games.
Do you like to work on innovative projects in a motivating, friendly atmosphere? Would you agree that games can engage and inspire?
If you answered "YES!" to both questions, you might be a fit for our studio!
Senior Engineering Team Lead
With expertise in all areas of game programming, our engineers are adept at writing code from scratch as well as working with middleware and existing tools. Our flexibility allows us to partner with our clients to determine the best technology plan that enables the successful execution of each project.
We are seeking a Senior Engineering Team Lead to manage, train, and lead a talented team of engineers to tackle a variety of projects across a wide range of platforms. Past projects have ranged from VR & AR games to large-scale theme park installations. You’ll work closely with the VP of Engineering to foster an environment where team members are excited to grow their careers and continue to launch engaging high-quality projects. We're looking for someone who is excited about mentoring game engineers who are at early stages of their careers and has had experience with people management.
Expectations of Senior level roles at Schell Games:
You are an expert in your discipline and share your knowledge with the studio. You have formed strong relationships inside and outside of the studio that allow you to leverage your expertise for the greatest impact. You think strategically about your craft and contribute heavily to your discipline community. You can be relied upon by your Vice President to represent your craft discipline.
You consistently build highly productive relationships by respecting your team members and clients, while effectively giving and addressing feedback. You set a high bar for delivery and hold others accountable, leveling up your team. You do this by demonstrating humility and empathy, building others' trust in you, and defaulting to trusting others. You maintain composure in the face of change and challenges.
You are deeply familiar with development methodologies and best practices. You identify and help improve faulty processes. You help solve problems. You drive consensus and move your projects toward their goals. You recognize and build off others' contributions.
Others consistently look to you as a leader (whether or not you are formally in that role). You quickly resolve conflicts, involving yourself or among others. You use empathy to seek understanding and common ground. You are a prime example to others of what a member of your discipline should be, and you actively promote those values. You respect and empathize with your colleagues and clients.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Advocating for the Engineering Department and processes within the team - serving as a key contact at a project lead level and between teams; representing and communicating Engineering Department's successes, challenges, and point of view concerning project direction/production
- Managing the career growth for several engineers across multiple projects; including giving performance feedback, helping to shape individual goals and objectives, meeting regularly to discuss direct reports’ professional development
- Supporting the studio Engineering VP to build and manage a high-performing team, outline succession planning, manage risk and identify growth opportunities across tech disciplines
- Mentoring across all levels of the Engineering team and team members outside the discipline on quality, process and best practice with direct correlation to project goals
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- 8 years of industry and/or relevant technical experience; 3 years as a manager
- Strong mentoring and guidance skills to create an environment for engineers to continually reach new heights within their career
- Effective team leadership skills with a passion for product excellence
- Successful leadership roles in building complex software systems for shipped titles
- Strong hands-on coding experience
- Hands-on experience working with Agile development methods
- Experience estimating project costs and staffing requirements
- Outstanding communication skills
- Experience building processes, tools, and workflows that enable high levels of productivity and effectiveness across a variety of teams
Our studio is committed to providing an equitable and inclusive work environment that ensures that all applicants and team members are treated with dignity and respect. We will not tolerate any type of discrimination or harassment directed at any applicant or employee because of their gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, veteran, family or parental status or any other protected group characteristic. This equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Prohibiting discrimination and harassment is only one part of the equation. “Diversity makes us strong” is more than just something we say. We value diversity in all forms because it is essential to our success, and we want every member of our team to feel their best creative self. Our development environment and social culture are based on welcoming, respecting, and celebrating differences among our team members and our players. We rely on each person to add their own unique skills and perspective to our culture. Every member of our team is responsible for making the studio as inclusive and equitable as possible.