The QA Lead role in the MSG Ventures Interactive group is responsible for assuring the timely release of high quality, error-free software applications, games, and tools created by multiple MSG Ventures teams on mobile, PC, web, and AR/VR platforms.
Specific Functions/Activities SUMMARY:
- Identify and document test requirements for multiple teams’ software products, for both internal and public use
- Create and thoroughly document test plans to confirm error-free functionality of all new and updated software
- Participate in cross-team scrum and other agile meetings, assuring by your consistent and calm representation of the QA function, the quality of the development and release planning process of each team with software in test
- Manage and mentor an elastically sized team of on- and off-site QA test contractors, staff, and outsourced resources to the thorough and timely completion of your test plans
- Whenever required, perform tests, clearly record issues, report detailed results, track progress and compose summary documentation on any MSG Ventures-developed software
- Consistently introduce and document Quality Assurance best practices and standards across the MSG Ventures organization
- Manage and ensure, in collaboration with multiple teams, that appropriate QA hardware is designed, built, and maintained to enable the efficient execution of test plans on various device and computer configurations
Special projects include, but are not limited to, establishing new vendor relationships, working with User Testing and playtest venue partners, and helping to evaluate new technologies and methodologies for the team.
QA Team Leadership (50%) The Quality Assurance Lead shall be responsible for the establishment and performance of the MSG Ventures QA team, including identifying and qualifying QA contractors, potential future full-time QA staff members, and QA outsourcing resources. The QA lead shall promote a proactive and collaborative QA culture. The QA Lead shall work with the Director of Interactive Software and Executive Producer to prepare and maintain a budget for such QA team, including internal and third-party expenses.
Further responsibilities include integrating into multiple Agile workflows, establishing and successfully maintaining a steady test and regression cadence aligning with each team’s release schedule, and forecasting the need to ramp the team up or down during busier or less demanding periods. This will include running daily QA team stand-ups, as well as integrating into other teams’ stand-ups, bi-weekly planning and retrospective meetings and other components of Agile production schedule.
Quality Assurance Testing (35%)
The QA Lead shall, whenever necessary, manually test all MSG Ventures software applications, document all issues, regress each fix and assure that quality benchmarks are met for both internal and customer-facing releases by shifting between production and end-user mindsets. The QA Lead shall further create, when required, test plans for any and all software entering the quality assurance process and shall maintain constant awareness of baseline product requirements on all relevant release platforms.
Special Projects (15%)
The QA Lead will be responsible for occasional special projects including sourcing third-party vendors for QA staff augmentation, working with User Testing personnel to plan focus groups and public test sessions, and – in partnership with an internal or external team – planning and assisting in the development of QA automation technology.
- Minimum of 4 years of software Quality Assurance experience required with games industry experience strongly preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of QA Lead/Management experience, with excellent communications and team management skills
- Passion for playing and creating games and a deep understanding of what makes great games great
- Experience as a senior tester and/or lead on iOS, Android, VR, and web-based applications and tools including client, server, and API code
- Significant experience writing test plans against different sets of devices, browsers, hardware, and operating systems
- Significant experience executing others’ detailed testing guidelines
- Experience managing other QA contractors, staff and third-party partners required, including the ability to explain complex ideas in a straightforward way to non-technical personnel.
- Experience with the Agile production methodology required (Scrum preferred)
- You are organized and it shows
- Advanced proficiency with Windows and MS Office required
- Advanced proficiency with JIRA project management and TestRail Test Case Management (or similar) software strongly preferred
- Additional games development skills and interests (game engineering, production, game design, game art, graphic design) a definite plus, including familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud, Unity, Unreal and other common games industry software