Job Title: Quality Assurance Associate
Reports to: QA Manager
Exemption Status: Exempt
Location: Madison, WI
Compensation: $28,300 – $37,900
Applicants must apply via our website. Resumes sent from Indeed or Linkedin will not be reviewed.
Nature and Scope
Filament Games is seeking a detail-oriented individual to help us make sure that the students learning with our games don’t encounter incorrect information or problems that prevent them from engaging with our products.
The Quality Assurance Associate will fill the primary role of refining test cases and conducting tests. Regular assessments of games and supporting software, documenting issues, and maintaining records will be among typical duties. This position will support our development and customer service teams.
Authority, Responsibility, & Relationships
- Communicate with project stakeholders to gather information relevant to the test team.
- Triage defects accordingly for effective resolution and completion
- After a defect is reported "Fixed," test for completion and communicate with the defect reporter
- Execute test cases and test cycles
- Write test cases for products in test
- Discover and Report defects on products in test
- Verify that defects are resolved
- Verify that stories have been implemented to specification
- Prepare evaluations of software and recommend improvements or upgrades
- Communicate the emergence of mission-critical problems in a timely manner
- Maintain a clear understanding of the form and function of product lines
- Reports to: QA Manager
- Direct Reports: None Currently
- Coordinates activity with: Development Teams
Measures of Success
- Few defects are reported that cannot be reproduced or are duplicates
- The number of defects reported is comparable to other team members
- Defect reports are thorough
- Customers are not reporting obvious defects with tested products
- Defects are being triaged and verified in a timely fashion
- Test cases are accurate and don’t require regular updates
- High School diploma and some college or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent troubleshooter
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Familiarity with Quality Assurance terms and methods
- Basic understanding of what makes games compelling, interesting, and engaging
- Detail oriented
- Proven ability to multi-task
- Adept at managing multiple concurrent projects
- Diplomatic when giving feedback or criticism
- Familiarity with Quality Assurance role in software development
- Familiar with the form and function of bug tracking or incident management processes
- Experience analyzing projects and determining testing requirements
- Familiarity with automated test tools, processes, or test strategies
- A background or formal schooling in Elementary Education, while not required, is of particular value.
- Experience using tablets and smartphones
- Clear understanding of the use, function, and configuration of the top five internet browsers
- Preference for education or experience in education or formal Quality Assurance
About Filament Games
Filament Games is a game production studio that creates digital learning games and interactives. Our mission is to create playful experiences that improve people's lives. We believe that games are a powerful way to engage and inspire learners, and we approach game design by translating learning objectives directly into meaningful gameplay mechanics and playful curriculum materials.
Benefits: Filament Games is an awesome place to work. Why?
- Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Through innovative educational games we’re working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
- We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a healthy balance between work and play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this. For example, we have flexible work hours, LAN nights, grill outs, sketch comedy classes, Show-n-Tells, and the occasional paintball battle.
- Our stylish office is located on the top floor of 316 West Washington, and offers stunning views of the heart of downtown Madison, a lively city with a world-class university, burgeoning tech industry and beautiful state capitol. Downtown Madison is a vibrant, active urban center with fun weekly events like Concert on the Square and the Farmer’s Market, and offers access to a variety of eclectic restaurants, music venues, and the best of Madison’s nightlife.
- Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, short & long term disability, a Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, subsidized bus fare, discounted gym membership, profit sharing, generous paid time off and extended holidays including a paid Christmas break!
Please note: Specific information or materials are requested for some job postings. Be sure to include the requested information, or your application will not be reviewed.
Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, religion, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.