At Hinterland, we pride ourselves in our community-focused approach to creation, and we care a lot about what people think and learn about what we do and how we do it. We’re looking for a veteran PR & Communications Director to join our growing studio to ensure our community continues to be engaged, people are well-informed about our brands and our activities, and that the studio is well presented to, and represented in, the broader industry.
As PR & Communications director, you will be responsible for a variety of both strategic and tactical communications activities. Every piece of outward-facing communication that leaves the studio -- whether it be ensuring the Hinterland brand-voice is well presented in our social media channels or the tone we use in responding to community feedback, to press releases and website content used to communicate our studio messaging -- is under your purview.
You will be expected to craft innovative strategies for how to communicate the studio’s efforts, brands, and initiatives to our existing player community, as well as producing effective copy and assets to reach new audiences. You will come up with actionable ideas for how to grow the % of engaged players who participate in discussion across our various active channels, as well as manage and nurture relationships with a growing list of media and influencers. You’ll also reach beyond the games industry to help raise the profile of the studio and its projects with non-gaming audiences.
Given that Hinterland is still a small (albeit, growing) studio, we need someone with a flair for the guerilla approach. Please be able to generate creative ideas that are cost-effective and favour substance over style! The ideal candidate is excited about working in a dynamic work environment and appreciates having a wide range of responsibilities and projects to sink their teeth into!
Goals & Responsibilities
- Be the studio's resident expert on traditional PR but also below-the-line influencer strategies.
- Build up the profile of the studio and game brands in both the video game and broader entertainment markets.
- Manage internal community and communications team resources, in collaboration with the Marketing Director, and ensure consistent communications protocols across all player-facing channels (social media, forums, support channels, etc.).
- Work closely with internal marketing, community, and publishing resources to identify relevant and timely product news and to develop positioning, messages, timelines, story pitches, etc.
- Establish and nurture relationships with media and influencers.
- Deliver concise, timely and informative reporting on press and influencer activities, coverage, opportunities, successes, etc.
- Provide post-mortems and competitive analysis.
- Spearhead all efforts around the studio’s presence at any industry events (trade-shows, conferences, etc.).
- When requested by the CEO, be prepared to act as studio spokesperson to media or at public events.
- Take ownership for all website copy and editorial content published therein.
- Develop strategies and execute on a plan to develop community-oriented content including, but not limited to, developer diaries and editorials, streams and other video content, podcasts, and community outreach events.
- 7+ years of experience working in PR and communications for a video game publisher or large studio, with 3+ years in a director's position.
- Experience in other entertainment industries is an asset: comics, movies, etc.
- Experience in cross-platform entertainment projects and advertising a plus.
- Possess an extensive network of print, online, broadcast mainstream, and enthusiast media contacts in a variety of entertainment industries.
- Sharp knowledge and understanding of the latest monitoring services, media directories, and other digital PR tools.
- Outstanding communication and writing skills (past experiences in copywriting is an asset).
- Demonstrated history of generating coverage for games or comics in mainstream media, through out-of-the-box and cost-efficient initiatives.
- Comfortable working in a lean and agile organization.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits, based out of our Vancouver studio location. We are prepared to assist with relocating candidates, in an effort to bring the strongest people into our studio, although we will give preference to those candidates who are currently permitted to work in Canada.
If you think this position sounds interesting and you meet the qualifications, we invite you to send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org