Officer (Video Game Community Manager) - Event Fundraising
Dana Farber Cancer Institute
Dana-Farber and the Jimmy Fund recently expanded its portfolio of events and programs to include Jimmy Fund Let’s Game, a gaming initiative focused on charity streams, in-game purchases, and both live and online events.
The Community Manager position will be tasked with the growth and development of Jimmy Fund Let’s Game including identifying participants, cultivating partnerships and potentially managing a volunteer board of advisors. This is a frontline fundraising role responsible for $100K-$250K in total revenue per fiscal year.
The ideal candidate is a video game enthusiast with a background in fundraising, or developing a strong community around a cause, and a passion for the Jimmy Fund mission and growing the Jimmy Fund presence within the gaming community. They should have a deep knowledge of, and experience with the major streaming platforms (Twitch, YouTube, Mixer) and their respective communities, as well as a working knowledge of Tiltify. The candidate will also understand Discord and have experience managing a community on the platform including moderation, event organization and growing an audience.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement comprehensive strategic plan with a focus on developing deep relationships with streamers, recruiting new streamers, and increasing giving to Dana-Farber; oversee budgets, calendar and timeline for events
- Lead creation of annual online events and create an integrated plan that drives revenue and awareness of Jimmy Fund Let’s Game
- Assist in public promotion of the program, identify and engage potential gamers
- Responsible for fostering a network of engaged and inspired supporters; Daily communication with donors and fundraisers through email, social media and other communications channels, including Discord, Twitter and other platforms as needed; Identify key members of the Let’s Game community for future cultivation
- Oversee the planning and execution of online tournaments
- Work cross functionally with Philanthropy Communications and IS to develop all necessary marketing materials, as well as with corporate partnerships for sponsorship and in-kind gifts
- Foster relationships yielding repeat events and annual revenue growth
- Complete annual program analysis and suggest new areas for improvement and growth
- Responsible for assisting the entire department, including other business units, reach financial goals
- Reports to Assistant Vice President, Event Fundraising. This position may have direct supervision of temporary staff and volunteers, but will seek major decision-making authority from direct supervisor. However, independent decision-making on day-to-day tasks and good judgment is required.
- Responsible for assisting the entire Division with reaching financial goals.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree required with minimum 3-5 years of experience in community management, event coordination, professional fundraising, or sales.
- Specific game industry and/or non-profit industry experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Working knowledge of the gaming and esports space strongly preferred
- Deep knowledge of streaming platforms (Twitch, YouTube, Mixer) and their respective communities Working knowledge of Tiltify
- Detail oriented with excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills with ability to multitask
- Possess the ability to work well with all DFCI Departments, donor constituencies of all levels, and committees
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is required and experience using databases preferred
- Workstation located in typical office setting. Travel and attendance at events during and evening and weekends will be expected/ required.
- Some use of personal vehicle for business purposes may be required.
- Some light lifting for set-up also required.
- Resume and cover letter required with application submission.
- To apply, please visit: https://careers-dfci.icims.com/jobs/18126/officer-%28video-game-community-manager%29%2c-event-fundraising/job
Embody Dana-Farber’s Core Values: Impact; Excellence; Compassion & Respect; and Discovery every day. Add value to the Dana-Farber community by seeking opportunities to collaborate across the Institute. Foster an ethical, positive, results-oriented culture founded on open communication.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.