Volition is searching for a Designer to fill a Mission Designer role. The successful candidate will have a proven track record in level or mission design, scripting and implementation for AAA third-person shooters or action games. Experience with open world games is a plus.
- Work with the Lead Mission Designer to design and implement missions, activities, diversions, and other gameplay modes for the product. For each area of responsibility, the Mission Designer is expected to do the following:
- Understand how the mission or mode fits within the strategic overview of the product design.
- Ensure that the player experience fulfills the vision of the game.
- Drive the quality, planning, scripting, pacing, implementation, and polish of the mission or mode.
- Provide input on milestone work assignments, estimates, and dependencies for related goals and tasks.
- Ensure that deliverables meet expectations for completeness, quality, balance, vision, and player emotion.
- Ensure that relevant team members understand high-level goals for the mission or mode as well as low-level specifications, dependencies, and workflows.
- Evangelize for the needs of the player.
- May be tasked with other duties and responsibilities in support of the project design team.
- At least two years of professional industry experience in level or mission design.
- Positive, professional attitude. Disciplined and self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to think creatively and analytically. An in-depth understanding of how gameplay works and how to create fun, meaningful experiences for the player.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills. Ability to multitask and be flexible about changing role requirements.
- Passion for games and ability to articulate that passion clearly and analytically. A broad knowledge base of console action and open world games.
Sample Work Required
- Please provide samples of your design work, either downloadable and playable missions or instructions for playing missions in shipped products. Other samples may be acceptable (e.g., videos).
- Any supplemental materials demonstrating skills relevant to this position are also encouraged.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter and sample work to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Mission Designer” in the subject line.