At Hinterland, our intention is to create thoughtful, world-class entertainment experiences, and critical to this goal is the ability to effectively promote and surface our products to the people who will find them compelling. To that end, Hinterland is looking for a product marketing veteran to join the studio.
As Marketing Director, you will be responsible for creating high-level marketing strategy for all Hinterland products (IP and games) and brands, and also for managing the tactical execution of this strategy through the direct management of an in-house marketing and brand team. These responsibilities include oversight of the marketing strategy for The Long Dark, multiple new in-house developed projects, and also may extend to third-party published titles in the future. This requires a candidate who thrives in a dynamic environment where they have to support multiple projects and teams, and wear a lot of hats!
You must be deeply familiar with the digital entertainment space, and understand the finer points of executing on sales and revenue strategies on the primary digital platforms -- Steam, PlayStation Store, Xbox Store, and others. Knowledge of other non-games entertainment including comic books and film/TV would be an asset. Passion for pop-culture and entertainment is a given. You must care about helping to promote thoughtful experiences, and be motivated to find honest ways to sell these experiences to people.
Your ultimate goal is the confident execution of excellent marketing campaigns that strengthen Hinterland’s IP, increase their exposure in the market, and maximize revenue, without compromising on the overall brand vision for the individual properties or the studio as a whole. We need to wow our audience with excellent creative, and ensure every asset we put in front of people reflects our deep-seated values as thoughtful creators. We also see profitability as a means to continued independence and risk-taking, so please recognize that revenue and player acquisition is an important part of this role!
You should have 7+ years of experience in progressively more senior roles culminating in a lead or director-level marketing position at an established small to medium-sized video game publisher or self-publishing developer. 3+ years of experience in a director-level marketing role would be preferred, as would experience managing a small marketing team. Please keep in mind that as part of a smaller team, you will be expected to both craft strategy and take an active role in executing on this strategy. This isn’t just an “ideas” role; you also have to be a passionate craftsperson. This may be a particular challenge for candidates coming from larger organizations!
Through your project portfolio, you should be able to articulate on an extensive range of high-quality campaigns for which you were the key driver. Proven knowledge of general digital marketing trends, existing and emerging digital platforms, and use of both traditional and influencer-based marketing tools, are a requirement.
The Marketing Director is a studio-level position, and as such you will report directly to the CEO. You will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day work of an in-house team of brand and marketing specialists, which means guiding their output and presenting it to the CEO for approval. You will also work in concert with a PR & Communications Director, who will handle the player-facing side of communications and focus on nurturing the player community while promoting the studio and its brands to the wider audience, and the media.
Goals & Responsibilities
- Be the studio's resident expert on sales strategies and performance-based marketing efforts.
- Grow the studio brands and revenue in the videogame space, but also the overall entertainment industry (comics, merch, etc.).
- Build and optimize customer acquisition, retention, and monetization strategies.
- Implement and execute key marketing initiatives with the support of a small team of internal brand and creative services, which you will oversee.
- Supporting the CEO, spearhead the studio’s IP extension strategy, into cross-platform projects including seeking appropriate licensing opportunities and merchandise.
- In collaboration with in-house marketing resources, coordinate the development of assets in support of the studio’s various marketing activities.
- 7+ years of experience working in marketing for a video game publisher or large studio, with 3+ years in a director's position with P&L responsibility. (Preference will be given to those with demonstrable experience executing on campaigns for both high-quality “indie” and triple-A games.)
- Experience in other entertainment industries a plus (comics, music, movies etc.).
- Experience in licensing and merchandise strategies.
- Solid background in business development, digital sales, revenue optimization, and user acquisition.
- Intimate understanding of social media marketing and advertising tools.
- Hard skills in data analysis and business intelligence.
- Demonstrated history of increasing revenue and profitability for games, including non-F2P and single-player experiences.
- Experience managing teams.
- Comfortable working in a lean and agile organization.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits, based out of our Vancouver studio location. We are prepared to assist with relocating candidates, in an effort to bring the strongest people into our studio, although we will give preference to those candidates who are currently permitted to work in Canada.
If you think this position sounds interesting and you meet the qualifications, we invite you to send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com