Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity, the largest independent video game developer in Austin, is comprised of a tightly knit group of experienced, no-nonsense veterans committed to solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Lead Technical Artist at Certain Affinity, you’ll get the chance to see some of the custom 3D tools and pipelines behind the world’s biggest shooters and contribute to our proprietary technology. This role reports to the Technical Art Director. It requires an energetic individual to take a hands-on approach to our pipeline management and tools creation for our studio art team.
If you’ve done some compelling tools and technical work, are eager to make an impact, able to wear multiple hats, and are open to new challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- Develop custom workflows using scripts and coded tools solutions for the art team
- Maintain the integrity of art pipelines by identifying inefficiencies and recommending and implementing improvements
- Troubleshoot key pipeline issues and solve core problems in cooperation with the development team
- Support the technical art needs of our client-facing project requirements and partner expectations
- Facilitate technical art communication across disciplines by providing clear and constructive feedback and guidance
- Collaborate with a diverse team to promote innovation and refine the visual quality of our games
- Work with and help manage a talented team of technical artists
- Work with the Technical Art Director to develop long term pipeline strategies for our teams and studio
- 10+ years game industry experience, 8+ specifically in a technical artist role
- Shipped 1+ AAA title as a Lead Technical Artist
- Tech-fluency in at least one development language, such as Python, MEL, C# or C++
- Expert-level familiarity with Unreal Engine
- Experience working in multiple industry-standard content applications.
- Experience working on a wide range of tech art projects, regarding art tools, graphics engines, and game hardware
- Expert-level familiarity with developing tools for environment art creation and workflow
- Experience developing pipelines including Substance Designer, Substance Painter, or Houdini
- Able to present (internally and externally) a clear vision of how work addresses problems and requirements
- Able to effectively manage direct reports and help them with their day to day tasks.
- Excellent communication, documentation and organizational skills
- Ability to travel
- Broad interest in real-time rendering technologies and art asset creation tools
- Able to script in multiple languages (Python/Pymel, Perl, Lua, MELScript)
- Experience in managing real-time rendering, run-time analytics, optimization, shaders, and materials
- Able to advise on, research and explore a variety of graphics systems and middleware packages
- Able to envision creative ways to leverage ideas and technologies, and integrate big picture through multiple mediums
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Graphic Arts or related field
Certain Affinity also offers relocation for this position to assist you in the move to Austin, Texas.