Proletariat is looking for a Lead Narrative Designer position that will play an integral part of our work on World of Warcraft. This role will lead and manage a team of designers who are responsible for collaborating on and guiding the ongoing story of WoW. The Lead Narrative Designer will represent a growing Narrative team in cross-functional collaborations with other teams at Proletariat. The ideal candidate is a strong, empathetic communicator with excellent critical thinking and analysis skills, and strong senses of aesthetic, curiosity, and drama. Please provide a link to your portfolio when you apply! You may be asked to complete a small design test.
- Communicate story vision across the development team
- Collaborate cross-functionally with development teams at Proletariat and Blizzard Story & Franchise Development to guide the narrative evolution of WoW's world, cultures, and characters
- Balance moment-to-moment narrative experience with the planning and execution of arcs that may span multiple years
- Serve as a contact for partners working on a wide range of external media, ensuring that they properly complement WoW game storytelling
- Concept, pitch, and contribute content for the lore bible detailing the backstories, names, descriptions, behaviors, and other facets of the various items, locations, and mechanics within the established universe.
- Design, develop, and implement ongoing content to players using narrative tools.
- Collaborate with the Director of Content to construct and deliver on a content calendar for assigned games
- Mentor and lead a team of narrative designers, empowering them to creatively support their peers while maintaining a consistent narrative voice throughout the project
- 6+ years of professional games industry experience preferred
- 1+ years of experience managing at least 2 direct reports
- Previously shipped MMO or open-world game titles
- Strong familiarity with best practices in level design, environmental storytelling, content delivery, and live games
- Experience building and iterating on competitive multiplayer game levels.
- Experience with documentation and production pipelines on medium to large teams.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to identify, mentor, and grow talent with an emphasis on building a diverse and inclusive team
- Strong empathy for your coworkers, reports, and players.
- Excellent fiction and non-fiction writing skills.
- A deep understanding of storytelling, especially as it relates to games.
- Familiarity with modern game engines (Unreal, Unity, etc) and/or narrative design tools (Twine, Inform, ChoiceScript, etc).
- Bachelor's degree in a related field (literature, history, marketing, journalism, etc) preferred.