Hardsuit Labs is in search of a Lead Concept Artist to work directly with the Art Director, Design Leadership, Concept Artists, and Content Leads to help create, define, and evangelize the overall visual style of current and future projects, including Bloodlines 2! The Lead Concept Artist is responsible for generating a variety of industry leading AAA character concepts, environment concepts, matte paintings, industrial design imagery, and graphic design/UI imagery to aid in the artistic development of a given project.
You know what it takes to lead a team. You know how to inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more. Your team can rely on you to keep them focused and on the right track. You have exceptional communication skills and can translate style guides and reference material into meaningful direction. Most importantly, you are excited by, and care about the people you work with, the environment in which we all participate, and can’t wait to be a part of developing great games!
In this leadership role we are looking for a strong ability to serve as an advocate for the art team, to help nurture and guide other artists, through both mentor-ship and critique, as well as serve as a passionate collaborative partner alongside the design and gameplay teams to prototyping unique and engaging gameplay experiences.
- Collaborate with Art Director and other content Leads to create inspirational artwork to define artistic vision and support game design.
- Provide mentorship, art feedback and training to less-experienced concept artists.
- Produce creative designs from inception through delivery of final illustrations.
- Actively contribute to studio culture. Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment.
- Create environment concept art, matte paintings, and architecture studies.
- Create illustrations for project marketing materials.
- Create sketches and detailed renderings of props and individual environmental elements.
- Create sketches, detailed renderings and turnarounds for character and creature studies.
- Provide supplemental visual direction to team production artists to ensure visual design of content is coherent and within brand.
- Coordinate with Art Director, Production, Concept Artists, and Content Leads on assignments for the concept art team ensuring concept art team meets milestone goals at high quality.
- Motivate, mentor and inspire concept art team, guiding them through various stages of production with clear direction.
- 6+ years of conceptual experience in designing, developing, and shipping major game systems in a published game or entertainment with market or critical acclaim.
- 2+ shipped titles preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communicator with a positive attitude.
- Ability to give and take direction as well as accept critical review of your work.
- Exceptional foundational artistic skills, with expertise in composition, rendering, anatomy, color theory, perspective, lighting, environment, architectural, character, costume design, and graphic design.
- A problem solver who enjoys a challenge and has strong sense of teamwork.
- Ability to mentor other artists and provide clear and meaningful feedback.
- Able to work well under pressure and deadlines with minimal supervision.
- High capacity to learn new concept art tools and techniques to help increase quality and efficiency of concept art team.
- Must be an expert in industry standard 2D applications such as Photoshop, Painter, Illustrator etc.
- Strong use of research and reference material that supports idea generation and problem solving.
- Portfolio that demonstrates a strong artistic style and design sensibility.
- Must have an active, passionate interest in current video games to help drive the game to the next level.
- Experience in world-building and environments.
- Knowledge of Maya or other 3D software for game art production.
- Traditional painting and rendering techniques.
- Ability to storyboard or concept motion design.
Required Application Materials
- Examples of personal and professional artwork.
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so.