Proletariat is seeking a Lead Character Artist to join us in our work on World of Warcraft. In this role, you will guide, support, inspire, and manage Character Concept Artists and 3D Character Artists as they bring to life new creatures, characters, armor, weapons, and in-game items. Help to uphold our creative vision and quality bar for handcrafted art; and insightfully develop concepts and offer creative guidance. Set an example for our team with your creation of art assets, mastery of tools, and understanding of art pipeline and production processes. You are an organized time manager, problem solver, originator of process, partner to other leads, team morale booster, a patient and empathetic communicator and listener, and an out-of-the-box thinker.
- Be the voice for the Proletariat character art team to the wider Proletariat and Blizzard teams.
- Work with the Art Directors and other Art Leads to shape and uphold artistic direction and vision for WoW's characters and creatures, and communicate it to the team, setting the tone for character creation with sophisticated technique
- Mentor, motivate, collaborate with, and guide character artists; amplify their strengths, reviews their work on technical and aesthetic bases, and stays aware of their workloads
- Provide guidance in the character design, modeling, and rigging processes and instruct the team regarding new processes and software to match project needs
- Be a driving force in creating a welcoming and respectful atmosphere for collaboration, communication, and creativity, with an emphasis on the values of diversity and inclusion.
- Assist in running the day-to-day workflow and create and maintain process documentation for character-related processes.
- Monitor and accounts for the needs of rigging, animation, and design to ensure clean handoff for assets
- Contribute to management of creative feedback loop for character art.
- Establish clear and consistent schedules in conjunction with Producers, and identifies potential problems in the art pipeline and works with other project leads to prevent them.
- Interview, hire, and train new team members in collaboration with Recruitment team.
- Extensive experience in a Digital Game Dev Studio
- Extensive experience creating character and creatures from concept to 3D execution in an innovative, appealing style; displays a strong sense of anatomy, design, and color theory
- In-depth knowledge of technology, terminology, and techniques of game art development, including an awareness of design and programming considerations
- Track record for outstanding concept ideation and execution.
- Positively influences team morale and empowers team members, able to clearly communicate expectations and rally team around an objective.
- Leads with empathy, strong ethics, flexibility, confidence, self-awareness, and the ability to see all sides of complex situations.
- Able to communicate artistic issues to non-artists; strong presentation skills
- Brings creativity and initiative to both preproduction and production concept tasks and adapts swiftly to new themes and directions
- Ability to provide oversight to multiple timelines, self-manage and meet deadlines, able to work unsupervised for long periods and able to supervise others.
- Cover Letter
- Link to your portfolio
What we offer
- Healthcare, dental, and vision, most of which are 100% sponsored by Proletariat to cover you and your family.
- Flexible PTO Policy with a focus on minimum time away, rather than maximum.
- 401K plan with generous matching contributions.
- Wellness reimbursements and discounts
- Flexible working hours.
- Our office is currently still remote, but we look forward to moving to an optional hybrid model in the future. If you’re based outside of the Boston-area and you’re not looking to relocate, we understand! Just let us know your situation during your phone screen conversation, and we’ll see if we can accommodate making a remote hire!
Proletariat values a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.