Your opportunity to help build the gameplay, avatar, trading and crafting mechanics which will help turn the UK's most popular multiplayer virtual reality experience into the world's brick-and-mortar metaverse.
Through our growing network of city centre locations, we've welcomed over 50,000 dimension-hoppers to the best that virtual reality has to offer, including Adele, Skepta, KSI, Fnatic and Jonathan Ross.
Following a fresh round of investment, we're expanding to new UK cities and internationally in 2021, and preparing to open up our metaverse to people around the world. We're bringing a new Game Programmer into the team to help build the foundations of this growth and to expand OTHERWORLD to millions more across the world.
As Game Programmer at OTHERWORLD, you will:
- Implement multiplayer functionality, interactions, and other design-driven gameplay mechanics in Unreal Engine 4 using Blueprints and/or C++
- Think like a designer to conceptualise and communicate engaging new features that prioritise player experience
- Implement heat, wind, scent, and rumble effects for multi-sensory experiences
- Scope technical requirements and mitigate risks regularly, solving problems before others even know they exist
- Write and maintain documentation for all created gameplay systems and extend documentation for existing ones
- Run regular tests, ensuring our builds remain playable at all times
- Grow professionally and help others do the same by participating in our open, knowledge-sharing, anti-dogmatic culture
You will be based in our East London HQ and will report to Chief Creative Officer and co-founder, Ed Wardle. From July onwards, you will report to the Head of Virtual Experience.
- Bachelor's degree from a respected Programming, Computer Science or Game Development course
- 3+ years professional game development experience
- Fluency in C++, Blueprints, Unreal Engine 4
- Experience with fast-paced, real-time multiplayer RPGs and/or FPSs
- Familiarity with basic elements of VR gameplay and development implications
- Ability to perform at the highest level both through self-direction and as part of a close-knit, knowledge-sharing team
- Eagerness to pick up new tools, technologies and approaches
- Excellent English-language communication and documentation skills
- Passion for video games and VR
- Fantastic opportunity to work with a leader in a new industry, scaling quickly with VC backing and a growing audience
- Genuine influence on the technical and creative direction of an innovative project in a cutting-edge medium
- Competitive salary and share option package
- Performance related bonuses - share in the team's success whilst being rewarded for exceptional personal contribution
- Discounts on VR, drinks and food in our venues
- Sponsorship available for non-UK candidates