Playwing (Ubisoft sister company) is looking for a talented Game Designer to join our brand new studio in Montreal, Canada.
Our small, experienced team is committed to building fresh, high-quality mobile games. We strongly believe in putting the fun front and center, and polishing every aspect of the player experience. Our agile, multidisciplinary approach means that you will work closely with programmers and artists on the end-to-end implementation of gameplay features from inception (initial design discussions, documentation) to completion (design approved, implemented, validated).
This is a unique opportunity to take part of an exciting adventure from the beginning. If you’re passionate about crafting kick-ass games for millions of players, you’re in the right place. Join us in our quest to create top-notch games on mobile platforms!
As a game designer, you will define the mechanics and rules to achieve the best gaming experience in line with the design and creative intentions.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Engage in the ideation process and produce pitchs and prototypes for new games
- Identify and design fun and immersive gameplay mechanics
- Provide clear formalisation of complex concepts and write clear design documentation
- Enjoy tackling various design topics ranging from fine-tuning controls and camera to tweaking monetisation loops
- Collaborate with developers and artists to ensure that technical, gameplay and audiovisual elements support each others
- Strive to deliver the best game experience through iterative production, constructive criticism and creative contributions
The ideal person for the job has:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience developing games, preferably on mobile
- Strong knowledge of Game Design (gameplay, learning curve, directing, difficulty balancing, pacing, reward, accessibility)
- Excellent logical, analytical and mathematical skills
- Good understanding of mobile free-to-play best practices (monetisation, ads, analytics)
- Passion about games and understanding what makes them fun
- Extensive gaming culture, on all platforms (mobile, consoles, etc.) and for all audiences
- Great communication and organisation skills (English, French spoken, read, written)
- Demonstrable skills and creativity in a strong portfolio of playable / released games
Bonus points for:
- BS/MS in Game Design, Interaction Design, or related
- Designing post-release content for shipped games
- Prototyping games with Unity3D (5.x or newer), Game Maker, Defold, etc.
- Agile development methodology
- Well-developed sense of color, composition, typography
And this is what we offer for being part of this amazing family!
- 4 weeks’ vacation
- 5 mobile days (if not taken, it will be paid at the end of the year)
- Full package insurance
- Flexible hours
- Many activities paid by the employer
- No dress code
- Great and open-minded culture
- Start-up company with many opportunities
- You will work on big projects and with people who has many years of experience and amazing talent
- New and renovated office
- And you can also play videos games!! A great way to relax and having fun while working!
This is a full-time role at our brand new studio in Montreal, Canada.
If that sounds like you, then we would love you to come and work with us. Please send us an email using the form below, including a CV and a link to examples of recent work demonstrating relevant game design skills.
You must be willing to complete a design test if requested to do so.