very very spaceship is a motley crew of space faring game designers, engineers and artists from the Pacific Northwest and beyond. For the past three years, under the leadership of BAFTA winning founder Sean Vesce (Never Alone, Tomb Raider Series, Mechwarrior Series), we have been solving the problems of the unknown for incredible partners like Google, Niantic Labs, Microsoft, and others. We are a tight knit group of makers thriving in our undiscovered future, making shared game experiences with AR, VR, Geolocation, Live Streaming and more. For the last few years we have been working with Niantic Labs on Transformers: Heavy Metal. In addition to our client work, we try to make time for our side projects like the VVS Peregrine, and our various itch.io goof games
very very spaceship is now recruiting for a diverse expansion to our crew to support upcoming missions. We are searching the galaxy for a Game Content Designer. Qualified candidates are energetic self starters, adept at managing several creative internal projects at once and handling an evolving schedule of events. Candidates are inclusive by nature and naturally motivated to support others to achieve beyond their own expectations.
As a Game Content Designer, you will create, support and implement the game content effort for a major location based AR project. You will collaborate closely with your design team to fill our gameplay spaces with exciting content, while also seeking to match look and feel alongside narrative and art.
- You love collaborating with others; they should also love collaborating with you.
- You are comfortable presenting ideas and workshopping ideas with stakeholders.
- You are a compelling storyteller, able to build empathy and convey the mindset of our players to the broader organization.
- You have the ability to ask meaningful and impactful questions while being an excellent listener with keen attention to detail.
- You have a maker mentality and desire to grow and develop new skills
- Own large portions of the game's content design, collaborating with the design lead, systems designer, narrative designer and live-ops.
- You will work to convey design intent when creating new content, including missions, abilities, and characters; after which you’ll implement those designs.
- Pitch and defend designs, and prototype/implement content using our internal system
- Regularly participate in discussions and brainstorming sessions on content design.
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques.
- 5+ years of relevant game/content design experience in mobile and live ops environments
- Strong emotional intelligence, deep understanding of psychology, cognition, social dynamics, usability.
- Familiarity with Agile game development
- Ability to work well in a fluid, changing environment as creative challenges evolve
- Excellent partnership and communication skills
- Self-motivated, passionate and opinionated about video games and video game dev
- Bachelor's degree in design, art or related fields or equivalent experience
- Content design for card games or RPGs
- Comfortable with game scripting and implementation with bespoke tools
- We are in a hybrid work environment at this time, so remote work is possible but you must live (or relocate to) the Puget Sound area. Our studio space is in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle.
- It starts with creating fun, intuitive and novel game mechanics
- We judge our work based on how it plays, not how good the specs read
- We prototype more and pontificate less
- Everyone at VVS is a jack-of-all-trades
- Everyone is expected to roll up their sleeves and get messy
- We actively listen to our peers regardless of discipline or level of experience
- We stay positive, especially when we find ourselves in a jam
- Above all, we follow a principle of “Core before More™
very very spaceship is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other trait that makes you, you. The more inclusive we are, the better our work is.