One year, special contract in the Interactive Arts department with a focus on Game Design. The Game Design BFA program at the Maryland Institute College of Art invites applications for this full-time special contract (with potential for up to 2 year renewal) beginning August 1, 2020.
The faculty position will teach 18 credits per year (three courses per semester) at an art school nationally known for its dedication to teaching excellence, a rigorous liberal arts curriculum and the importance of fine arts and design. The candidate will be capable of teaching at all levels of the undergraduate program, be proficient in game design theory, production and programming and have a broad understanding of new approaches in the field of Game Design.
The interdisciplinary nature of the Department and College requires that faculty maintain an active professional practice and meaningfully contribute in a variety of areas that include: all aspects of departmental operations and institutional governance including departmental management, advising, institutional and departmental committee service and scheduled departmental and student activities and coordinating the department exhibitions of student work during the school year. In addition to teaching, all full-time faculty are expected to pursue research and/or professional engagements that contribute to the educational mission of the department and college.
- MFA, MA or other graduate degree in the field of Games, Interactive Design, Computer Science or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of full-time teaching experience (at the college-level beyond graduate assistantships is preferred).
- An active professional practice showing a combination of the following: released games, game art projects or game scholarship.
- Solid programming skills and the ability to teach game programming courses in Unity.
- Proficiency in common software such as Adobe Photoshop; Illustrator.
- A diverse interest in games and play including tabletop games, games as art, games for change, urban games, etc...
- Successful candidate will be required to complete Employment and Education Verifications
- Promise or proven ability to enrich the aims for diversity, equity and justice of the department and the college.
- A history of working across disciplines with other artists, designers, and those outside of the field of game design.
- A track record of working with nonprofits, government agencies and companies on collaborative courses and projects.
- Four years of full-time teaching experience (at the college-level beyond graduate assistantships is preferred).
Salary: Commensurate with experience and college policy; excellent benefits package.
Apply: The College will review applications as received. Materials received before February 1 2020 are best assured of receiving full consideration. The position will remain open until filled. All inquiries, nominations, and applications will be held in the strictest confidence. AA/EOE
*Applications MUST be initiated via the MICA website. During your application on MICA’s website, you will be redirected to Slideroom to upload supporting materials as directed below. After you have uploaded your materials on Slideroom, please complete your application on MICA’s website.
Slideroom: You will be asked to login or create a login and submit two multi-page PDF documents.
The first multi-page PDF document should include:
- Letter of application
- Comprehensive CV
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Art/design statement
- Names and contact information including address, phone and email for three references.
The second multi-page PDF document should include:
- 20-25 images of professional creative work
- 15-20 images of student work
- Descriptive list of all images above
Links to live URLs may be submitted as well, but will be considered as a secondary source. Any additional media (MOV, MP3, etc.) should be formatted for Apple computers and have representative still image and description information in the PDF portfolio document.
Please format PDF documents for screen resolution and viewing. No physical media are requested nor will be returned.