Magic Leap Studios seeks a Technical Director to lead our Engineering team in the development of immersive content for Spatial Computing and XR. In this role, you will establish and implement the technical vision for our tools, processes, and development methodologies, and ensure that they are carried out over current and future projects. You will directly manage the engineering team, and be accountable for the continued improvement of our technology as we push the Studio forward.
This position requires expert knowledge of the entire game development ecosystem, from engine and implementation, to tools and pipelines, and server-side development and architecture. You will collaborate with other Studios directors, producers and discipline leads to establish and refine a vision, then work directly with your teams to architect and implement solutions. As the first-party developer on the Magic Leap platform, you will collaborate with the Software, Hardware, SDK, and other teams across Magic Leap to align on platform feature definitions, architecture, and prioritization. You will have the opportunity to work with an experienced team of industry veterans who are working hard to create something amazing and world-changing.
You are passionate about the future of Spatial Computing and XR, and ready to tackle the challenges involved in creating world-class experiences that fulfill the potential of Magic Leap’s groundbreaking technology.
- Establish and drive the technical roadmap for Studios in conjunction with Creative, Production & Executive stakeholders
- Guide the technical staffing, architecture, and development of multiple projects and pipelines
- Oversee the development of core framework and tools, in order to address common workflow issues and continue improving our efficiency across projects
- Mentor the technical team and manage performance, mediate conflict, nurture growth and advancement, and drive for excellence
- Maintain the technical edge for the Studio by collaborating with the Software, SDK, Ecosystem and other teams across Magic Leap
- Establish and enforce best practices in architecture, coding style, code reviews, etc.
- Maintain working knowledge of the platform & SDK in order to assist teams in troubleshooting issues and brainstorming improvements
- Stay current on cutting-edge research & technologies, recommend new tools & techniques
- 10+ years of experience in development of interactive software projects
- Multiple projects shipped on a variety of platforms, including mobile and mutli-player, in a Director/Lead Engineer role
- Experience designing, building, and maintaining development tools
- Experience with various deployment pipelines, continuous integration, and source control
- Experience building and leading teams & managing other managers
- Familiar with various 3D game engines (Unity, Unreal, proprietary, etc.)
- Working knowledge of 3D art & audio production pipelines & infrastructure
- Experience shipping with cloud and networked services
- Experience bridging the physical and digital worlds via sensors, networking and other related technologies a plus
- Proactive and hands-on; you still write code and see that as critical to successful technical oversight
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or similar, or relevant industry experience