The Development Manager will lead a team of engineers responsible for delivering mobile games on time and on budget, primarily based on iOS and Android platforms. You will work with our engineers to ensure that all aspects of their careers and project responsibilities are clearly defined, have appropriate milestones, and remain on track to deliver the company’s strategic vision for quality mobile games and to achieve the company’s financial targets.
- Efficiently allocate resources and ensure teams have the appropriate direction and resources at all times to remain on track to complete our internal commitments and deadlines.
- Track and report status of all ongoing projects during our weekly engineering management updates; highlight where any risk may exist, proactively build, communicate and lead recovery actions.
- Proactively design and manage coverage plans for all game projects, including managing time off for team members.
- Coach, motivate and lead team members to their optimum performance levels; actively engage in their career development including regular reviews and 1:1’s
- Manage performance within the team in a way that encourages innovation and creativity, while establishing and codifying best practices and processes
- Establish responsibility and accountability within the team. Create, develop, and support new leaders.
- Act decisively to remove roadblocks and smooth out interdisciplinary issues
- Facilitate rapid delivery on concepts through prototypes presented for feedback
- You will lead design reviews for Engineers on the team and offer feedback on design, integration, performance and scalability issues.
- Initiate and own all product specifications, file packages, and supporting assets and collateral for each project.
- Help move products from original concepts through to production-ready live services
- Help define original design directions, compose project proposals, and execute production of all required and supporting materials to both rigid and informal timelines.
- Prepare all draft and final files for approval processes, tooling and modifications, and final art mechanicals.
- Contribute to the production of models, mock-ups, and prototypes to prove concepts and to help support the needs of the company
- Make initiatives to improve internal creative processes, project management, and production.
- Train engineering team on overall studio process and development best practices: From Feature Costing, Pre-Production Process, JIRA, Confluence documentation, prototyping, system development, stability, engine scalability, live service support, etc.
- Contribute to game design by providing guidance on the strengths and weaknesses of the team and engines. Propose and advocate for clean, functional system design
- Evaluate new engines and discover how to robustly and efficiently develop in them
- Discuss, design and modify shared code to benefit all game teams
- Research and experiment with new technology
- Find root source of bugs and help architect code to minimize reoccurrence
- Prepare the game for launch on multiple devices in multiple countriesSupport the game as it goes live and add new features to keep players wanting more
Knowledge, Skills and abilities:
- Must love games!
- Consistent track record for delivering commitments on time and with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional technical expertise and leadership skills.
- Strong, proven programming skills and the desire to apply them to difficult challenges
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written
- Extremely comfortable holding both internal and external stakeholders accountable at multiple grade levels.
- Adept at building and maintaining strong relationships.
- Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail and strong work ethic
Education and Experience:
- S. Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- 2+ years of experience managing and leading software development teams.
- 2+ years of project management experience, preferably in a service-oriented organization.
- 4+ years of software development experience, preferably iOS and/or Android.
- Experience leading mobile software development teams (iOS, Android, Windows 8/Phone, etc.)
- Experience developing mobile applications, preferably iOS and/or Android.
- Experience with both Agile and traditional software development methodologies.
- Experience in a creative environment with designers and artist