Down Smash Studios is in search of a Concept Artist/Illustrator to join our growing team and take part in the creation of a top quality Unreal Engine 4 game. The artist will be in charge of designing highly polished and visually impressive concept images, user interface elements, and promotional material. Suitable candidates are comfortable working in an Agile environment (scrum), and must be self-managing and intuitive. Passion for playing video games is a must!
Key Responsibilities and Expectations
- Working closely with the leadership and art teams to craft stunning imagery that accurately represents the game’s artistic vision and tone
- Creating iconography and interface elements such as maps, icons, menus, and HUD assets for in-game usage
- Conceptualizing original environments, props, buildings, and creatures that blend together visually and cohesively
- Contributing to all stages of production by researching and crafting visual assets such as detailed mock-ups, paint-overs, design sketches, renders, and marketing materials
- Ensuring visual consistency across the board by frequently communicating and collaborating with the art, design, and engineering teams
- Meeting quality benchmarks and deadlines in a timely manner
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Several years of experience creating digital art in a professional work environment
- Strong fundamental understanding of traditional art, color theory, composition, anatomy, and lighting.
- Experience with digital art applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator
- Ability to adapt to various aesthetics and art styles efficiently in a constantly changing environment
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and positive
- Functions well with a team – collaboration and communication skills are important
Nice to Have
- Experience with 3D applications such as Blender, Sketch-up, Maya, and ZBrush
- Experience in a game development environment
- Graphic design expertise
Down Smash Studios was started by talented gamers with many years of experience in the software industry who are passionate about creating awesome, high quality games. DSS believes in a healthy work-life balance and provides its employees with excellent perks including flexible hours, health coverage, fun online events, and delivered supply packs.
DSS is working on an open-world survival/action Unreal Engine 4 title.
We are looking for someone driven, organized, and passionate about video game development.
We go to great lengths to create an excellent work environment, built on trust and a shared passion for video games. The ideal candidate should provide a creative cover letter, portfolio, and resume. Please submit your application to jobs at downsmashstudios.com and we look forward to hearing from you!
To verify that you have read the entire posting, please leave the equivalent of your Cover Letter in the "Message" component. In other words, a summary about yourself and why you are interested in this role in particular.
Please ensure that a portfolio is submitted along with your application.
Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, we are not able to respond to every applicant. If you do not receive a response, please know that we are grateful and appreciate your interest in our studio.