PerBlue is a growing independent studio whose free-to-play mobile RPG and strategy games have been played by millions of people around the world. Our most recent release, Disney Heroes: Battle Mode, was named Best Game of 2018 by the Samsung Galaxy Store. We have been named a “Top Developer” by Google and recognized as a top place to work in Madison many times over. Our high performing team of 60 is based in Madison, Wisconsin, as is this leadership position.
We're looking for an experienced and highly motivated Art Director to guide the creation of artistic assets in our mobile games.
Our Ideal Candidate
You'll have deep experience as a senior artist or art director in the videogame world. Your eye for visual style is inerrant and you have a track record of building awesome brands and characters.
You'll know how to do everything a videogame art director does: managing art production pipelines, be a great communicator, extremely organized, and very goal-oriented. You’re a creative thinker, but thrive while working within the constraints of mobile games. You'll excel in highly cross-functional and dynamic environments and know how to stay focused on business results and building to the market.
You’ll work closely with product leads to set and define the artistic style and vision within our games including theme, characters, and environments. You’ll bring our characters to life and build strong, lasting game brands. You’ll leverage your expertise to shape and continually improve the artistic direction of our products. You’ll ensure consistency and maintain the highest of quality while taking responsibility for the art production process. You’ll lay out challenging benchmarks while also cultivating creativity and empowering your team members.
Specific Requirements & Qualifications
- 5+ years creative team leadership experience within a game studio (mobile and free to play perferred).
- Thorough understanding of 2D and 3D art asset production pipelines and software tools, and have direct experience managing those pipelines.
- Able to effectively provide constructive feedback (verbal, written, and interpersonal) to drive the creative process and deliver superb results.
- Strong communication skills (verbal, written, and interpersonal), and the ability to effectively communicate with both your team members and management.
- Excelled in prior Art Director or Art Lead roles with a proven track record of effectively managing both internal and external teams.
Other Desired Skills
- Close attention to detail and results-focused.
- Proactive and able to take ownership of processes, projects, and issues.
- Ability to lead, mentor, manage, and direct in order to perform management duties.
- Strong understanding of mobile technological constraints and challenges.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer 6+ weeks of paid time off and health, dental, and vision insurance as well as a generously-matched 401k plan. We have a catered lunch program, a snack-stocked kitchen, and a refrigerator full of liquid refreshments. You'll get membership to our local hackerspace Sector67 and enjoy our regular socials. You'll be part of an energetic and collaborative environment, and work with a great team. We offer flexible working hours and are located in a vibrant neighborhood in beautiful downtown Madison.
This is a full time position based in Madison, WI. Compensation is competitive and based on experience.