Arrogant Wizard is a small, remote-work indie studio founded in 2017 by a queer, trans game designer, June McCaffery.
Together we’re a designer, programmer, UI artist, and producer working on the studio’s first title, Statecraft, a multiplayer 4X strategy game for desktop platforms. As busy professionals, we prize work-life balance and do not crunch.
Statecraft tweaks the turn-based, grand strategy formula, emphasizing social and economic justice, political agency, environmentalism, and the perils and potentials of technologies and governments. The game consists of a nuanced and finely-balanced rules system with a politically progressive slant.
Players lead a nation in alignment with their political vision through a world on the brink of ecological disruption and geopolitical breakdown. They must contend with challenges presented by nature, other countries, and the ever-changing social landscape of their own society.
We’re currently on track for a 2023 release and a 2020 fully playable vertical slice.
Our Visual Style
Lush visuals as in Age of Wonders: Planetfall showcase the player’s beautifully built cities whose layouts directly affect gameplay.
We see Statecraft as a spiritual successor to Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, illustrating through visuals, mechanics, and narrative the many ideologies (compelling, novel, strange, or even feared) that humanity has embraced or may embrace in the future.
In this role you will:
- Work with the creative director to create and maintain Statecraft’s visual identity with a comprehensive style guide;
- Be responsible for the visual identity/aesthetic of all aspects of the project (UI, title screen, 2D and 3D art assets, animations, world and units, etc.);
- Proactively communicate with each team member, understanding their needs and conveying your own;
- Work with the creative lead, UX/UI specialist, animators, and 3D artists to define and maintain an art production pipeline that aligns with the project’s aesthetic vision;
- Create or oversee production of concept art to define the game’s visual identity.
This is a remote-work hourly paid contract position. Our goal is to find a professional who can be with the product from beginning to release and beyond.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have a well developed cultural diversity literacy;
- Are able to work smoothly alongside people of different backgrounds, beliefs, and identities with awareness and grace;
- Are game development savvy, understanding the parameters and challenges of your and others’ roles;
- Are thoughtful and curious;
- Have prior art director experience in a video game context;
- Have shipped at least one commercial game;
- Have prior experience managing a 3D art pipeline across disciplines or teams;
- Have access to and work well in a contemporary visual art software solution such as Adobe, Krita, or Blender;
- Understand 3D development in game middleware such as Unity 3D or Unreal Engine;
- Possess the skills needed to meet all of the responsibilities outlined above;
- Are dedicated to maintaining high production quality;
- Are diligent, empathetic, and a good communicator.
Prior experience with 4X or Grand Strategy games, experience working in Unity, ability to produce concept art, and/or knowledge of assets required by desktop games storefronts are all pluses, but not required.