We are looking for an experienced AI engineer to join our growing team. This is a great opportunity for someone who already has several years of experience under the belt and is ready to come in and make a direct impact on our projects.
You have an eye for detail and passion for gameplay and AI behaviors. You're the apex predator of the AI world able to change course when priorities shift, stay focused on the most pressing issue and solve it quickly by rapidly evolving your knowledge base. You can prototype new AI behaviors and turn these prototypes into robust, maintainable, shippable systems. Teamwork is key here at HSL and you must love working in a team fostered environment.
- Develop and maintain AI framework from scratch.
- Work closely with Design team on overall AI system architecture, AI behavior design, development, testing, and debugging.
- Keep abreast of latest AI technology and technique and provide usability/feasibility analysis for the project's AI requirements.
- Write well architected, robust, and maintainable code with good coding standards for all platforms.
- Contribute innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development.
- Actively seek review and input from team members.
- Assist in creating schedules including helping others ensure their schedules are realistic and accurate.
- Development of AI tools, features and engine components.
- Provide documentation and support of implemented features.
- Communicate closely with Lead Designer and Technical Director regarding the status of assigned tasks as well as potential pitfalls that require redesign.
- Be proactive at fixing issues that are discovered.
- Fluent in C/C++.
- Excellent debugging skills.
- Able to work closely with the Design team to build out and architect the necessary framework for good AI development tools for system and level designers.
- In depth knowledge of AI systems (Path finding, Path building, LOS, State Machines, Sensory systems, Group behavior, Behavior Trees).
- Experience with memory management, multi-threading, cross-platform development and a working knowledge of 3D math.
- Must be comfortable working within, and enhancing, an established code framework.
- Ability to participate in gameplay design and follow specifications.
- Ability to openly discuss and review technical proposals, requirements, designs, algorithms, source code, and reference documents with engineers, content creators and managers.
- Creative, focused, results-oriented, self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with excellent debugging and strong communications skills.
- Highly collaborative approach to development.
- Ability to provide realistic schedules.
- Demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices.
- Excellent communication, time-management and organizational skills.
- A strong ability to work across multiple disciplines to gather feedback and address cross-functional issues. Penchant for practical innovation and the ability to bring new ideas to the table.
- Passionate gamer with an ability to analyze competitive products for their strengths and weaknesses.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXTRA CREDIT
- Unreal Engine 4 experience or experience in maintaining/extending an existing AI framework.
- Designed and implemented (or maintained) a full featured AI system for a published AAA game.
- Console development experience.