Multi-talented / Creative / Technical
Duration: Permanent, Full-time
Location: Work from home (remote), but must be living in the Greater Vancouver Area
Metanaut is hiring! Join our small but passionate team to build VR experiences with a low-to-mid poly look. Successful candidates display high proficiency in a wide range of art-related work ranging from the creative to the technical i.e. shader writing. The 3D generalist must be able to composite all art assets in Unity.
- Contribute original ideas on all aspects of VR/AR production & development
- Conceptualize & design low-mid poly environments, objects, creatures
- Create 3D models, textures, lighting, basic hard surface animations, basic shaders
- Perform tasks such as UV mapping and compositing all art-related work (Unity)
- Adhere to and improve workflows
- May train, mentor, or supervise the work of entry, mid and mid-high level generalist artists
- Participate in daily scrum meetings (online) and weekly sprint meetings (in-person)
- Experience leading creation of outstanding artwork using Unity
- 3+ years of experience in 3D modeling for use in Unity-based games (3DS Max, Maya or Blender)
- Strong experience in modelling, PBR texturing, UV mapping, lighting, and environment design
- Experience in creating performant shaders
- Excellent communication skills for conveying ideas verbally, over text, and through sketches
- Dedicated to creating high quality work
- Disciplined without needing constant supervision in a home environment
- Punctual with deadlines
- Interest in using software for organic modeling (ZBrush, Mudbox etc)
- Interest in character design, rigging, and animating
Nice to haves:
- Past experience working remotely (freelancing counts!)
- Worked on VR / AR projects
- Worked on Unity-based mobile games
- Knowledge in optimization for games (LOD Creation, normal map baking, etc.)
- Experience with Agile & Scrum workflow
- Experience using Trello, JIRA, Plastic SCM, Perforce, Slack, Toggl, and related technologies
Metanaut is a small award-winning team of virtual reality enthusiasts who are passionate about building a better future. Our focus is to develop fun and valuable VR games & apps that are exceptional in design.
We are one of the first VR studios in Vancouver, and have won some of the world’s largest VR competitions. Just recently, we were accepted into Magic Leap’s grant program which only accepted three Canadian studios—our studio being the only studio accepted in British Columbia.
Team members have backgrounds in industrial design and engineering, which helps us to apply proven real-world design principles to unfamiliar virtual worlds.
We split our time between the metaverse and Vancouver, and we want you to join us in the journey!
1. Read the following articles about remote working to see if you would be a good fit:
- 7 Traits You Need If You Want to Work From Home: https://www.inc.com/jayson-demers/7-traits-you-need-if-you-want-to-work-from-home.html
- 12 Qualities to Look for When Hiring Remote Workers: https://medium.com/remote-work/12-qualities-to-look-for-when-hiring-remote-workers-68243ff351b0
- 10 Traits To Look For When Hiring A Remote Employee: https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2018/02/06/10-traits-to-look-for-when-hiring-a-remote-employee/#589337c363df
2. Email email@example.com with the following:
- Cover Letter
- A link to your portfolio and/or other pieces of work