Filament Games is seeking a seasoned 3D generalist with Unity experience to collaborate with our closely knit team of game development professionals on a new learning game. The position requires a full-time commitment for the duration of the project, with the potential for an extension upon project completion.
We'd like to see someone who:
- Is self-directed: you may be the sole 3D artist on your dev team, and it will be up to you to take the lead in your area of expertise
- Is comfortable collaborating with a multidisciplinary team of designers, artists, and engineers
- Is comfortable establishing and maintaining compelling visual styles
- Takes the time to iterate upon and polish assets to create the best possible game experience
- Is committed to their craft and passionate about making exceptional games.
When applying include a cover letter, a resume, and a visual portfolio (preferably web-based) showcasing your very best work.
Authority, Responsibility, & Relationships
- Provide estimates to the production team
- Work with Interaction Design, Game Design, Illustration, and Engineering teams to create and integrate production-ready game assets (spanning characters, props and environments)
- Work across all aspects of 3D asset production: low-poly modeling, texture creation, UVs, rigging, and animation
- Format assets according to design specs, technical requirements, and 3D best practices
- Create consistent artwork from concept to integrated asset
- Collaborate with a small team of artists to establish new art styles when necessary, and match existing styles when required
- Complete work on schedule
- Reports to: Art Manager
- Direct Reports: None currently
- Coordinates activity with: Design, Art, Engineering, and Production
Measures of Success
- Complete production-grade 3D assets in a timely manner
- Revise work according to stakeholder feedback
- Communicate effectively with team members and production
- Effectively manage time as part of a team or working individually
- Stay current with latest relevant technologies
- 3 years professional experience making games
- 5+ years creating 3D art
- World-class visual portfolio
- Degree or certificate in 3D art, digital art, or related discipline
- A bright, colorful, engaging aesthetic
- Demonstrated ability to create character and environmental animations that are natural yet playfully exaggerated
- Strong grasp of color, form, composition, and motion
- Extensive Unity experience including mobile integration/optimization, as well as a strong understanding of Unity's tech pipeline and mobile limitations
- Imaginative, innovative, and versatile
- Driven to create exceptional games
- Comfortable sharing, inspiring, brainstorming, and communicating ideas and concepts
- Receptive to critical feedback
- Blender experience
- FX animation, lighting, and shader creation
- Familiar with Agile production methodology
- Familiar with classic and current games
About Filament Games
Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Through innovative educational games we’re working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a healthy balance between work and play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this. For example, we have flexible work hours, causal dress everyday, grill outs, sketch comedy classes, Show-n-Tells, and the occasional paintball battle.
Our stylish office is located on the top floor of 316 West Washington Ave, and offers stunning views of the heart of downtown Madison, a lively city with a world-class university, burgeoning tech industry and beautiful state capitol. Downtown Madison is a vibrant, active urban center with fun weekly events like Concert on the Square and the Farmer’s Market, and offers access to a variety of eclectic restaurants, music venues, and the best of Madison’s nightlife.
Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, short & long term disability, a Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, subsidized bus fare, discounted gym membership, profit sharing, and unlimited paid time off.
Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, religion, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.