3D Environment Artist & Worldbuilder
Visionary Realms is looking for a passionate and experienced 3D Environment Artist & Worldbuilder for our upcoming fantasy MMORPG Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. This is a fully remote, full-time contract position.
At Visionary Realms, you will have an opportunity to join an ambitious team united by our love for the MMORPG genre and a desire to highlight and elevate the social features and player interdependencies that our genre is uniquely poised to provide. We are seeking talented and enthusiastic individuals to join our team, broaden the diversity of our ideas, and unleash their creativity in building an expansive and captivating fantasy world.
The 3D Environment Artist and Worldbuilder will work in close collaboration with Art and Design teams to achieve intended aesthetic and gameplay goals in the Unity game engine within a tight iteration and feedback loop. Candidates should have a strong understanding of composition, color, lighting, and form in order to produce highly-detailed and captivating fantasy environments in Unity’s High Definition Rendering Pipeline. Our ideal candidate will have experience in creating environments to support seamless open worlds.
- Create high quality fantasy environment assets and textures based on supplied concepts and technical constraints.
- Confirm the quality of work once assets are integrated into the game and make necessary fixes and improvements as needed.
- Collaborate with Lead Concept Artist, Lead Writer, and Creative Director to keep quality and style consistent, and provide creative feedback to iterate and improve.
- Understand and utilize game development methodologies in relation to technical requirements and overall aesthetic (managing polygon counts, draw calls, texel density, texture-space optimization, etc.)
- Know the game intimately by actively play-testing and verifying the quality of the environments from a player’s perspective.
- Maintain a duty of care ethic to ensure work consistently meets established requirements, expectations, and deadlines.
- Maintain supporting documentation as needed.
- 2+ years’ experience with modeling, texturing and creating environments for video games.
- A portfolio exhibiting strong environment and prop-building skills for game engines including composition, modeling, and texturing.
- Expertise in Substance, Maya, ZBrush, 3ds Max, Photoshop or equivalent 3D/2D software.
- Ability to create PBR materials and all associated maps for new or existing assets.
- Strong background in Unity development and workflows.
- Varied and demonstrable World Building experience assembling large open world and indoor environments with procedural tools within technical constraints.
- A strong artistic vision that can visualize environments in their entirety and ability to detail those environments with minimal concept art or direction as needed.
- Able to attend required meetings and maintain a schedule of asset delivery.
- Excellent communication skills, a self-driven mindset and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Willingness and ability to self-critique, and receive and adopt constructive criticism to make artistic adjustments.
- A strong work ethic and self-motivation towards creative problem-solving.
- A passion for the MMORPG genre.
Preferred Candidates Will Be:
- Experienced in creating and utilizing complete environment kits (i.e. creating a modular dungeon kit that can be used to build sprawling dungeons, or multiple dungeons of a similar theme).
- Experienced in optimizing assets and scenes for performance within the Unity engine. (Instancing/Batching, Occlusion Culling and Atlases)
- Experienced with Vertex Painting in-engine.
- Experienced in creating new custom PBR shaders as needed to achieve specific aesthetic outcomes.
- Experienced in creating Lighting and Rendering profiles to complement scene composition.
- Able to self-produce environmental and prop concept art to supplement asset backlogs as needed.
- Located within 4 hours of a continental United States time zone.
Please send your resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Environment Artist & Worldbuilder Application. Applications without an included portfolio will not be considered.