Proletariat, Inc. is seeking a 3D Character Art Lead. In this role, you will be instrumental in guiding and managing 3D Character Artists as they work on the design and creation of characters for Proletariat’s games; upholding a creative vision; generating work to maintain Proletariat standards; and utilizing insights to develop concepts and give creative guidance. You will be a source of inspiration for team members working on characters and cosmetics (including all non-environment modeling), and must be a highly organized time manager, problem solver, originator of process, partner to other leads and stakeholders, team morale booster, a patient and empathetic communicator and listener. You are expected to think creatively in all aspects of the role.
- Works closely with Studio Art Manager and Art Director in setting direction for character art.
- Disseminates and/or provides artistic direction/vision for character art.
- Is the first asset review for technical and aesthetic checks of the character team’s work.
- Manages a team of character artists, including establishment of task times and schedules.
- Mentors, collaborates with, and helps to guide direct reports, and oversees their workloads.
- May create and maintain process documentation for character-related processes.
- Can be relied upon to innovate and instruct the team regarding new processes and software as dictated by project needs; shows strong independent problem-solving ability.
- Often considered to lead art workshops.
- Assists in managing the day-to-day workflow and contributes to cross-departmental/divisional projects as a creative partner.
- Interfaces with partners across the organization, representing the character art team in presentations and strategy discussions.
- Stays abreast of game/creative industry trends.
- Contributes to management of creative feedback loop for character art.
- Identifies potential problems in the art pipeline and works with the Spellbreak leads to prevent them.
- Collaborate with the Art Director and Leads to understand and communicate the expectations for visual quality and best practices of in-game art with external teams.
- 7+ years in a Digital Game Dev Studio experience (also open to exceptional senior candidates with fewer years’ professional experience)
- A portfolio that showcases innovative integrated/digital creative solutions.
- Considerable experience using Unreal
- Has mastery in at least two areas of Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush, and any other tool commonly used for production of art assets.
- Has in-depth knowledge of basic and advanced technology, terminology, and techniques of game art development, including an awareness of design and programming considerations and at least one area of deep expertise in character art.
- Great communication and leadership skills; awareness and competency in guiding creatives in the digital and social space.
- Clear articulation of expectations, able to rally a team around one outcome and objective.
- Displays consistent, professional demeanor at all times; reacts well under stressful situations.
- Always pushes the art quality bar.
- Is a positive force in company morale and a force of empowerment to team members.
- Displays empathy, strong ethics, flexibility, confidence, self-awareness, and the ability to see all sides of complex situations.
- Is able to see the ‘‘big picture’’ of the project.
- Able to effectively communicate art issues to non-artists; exceptional presentation skills for both internal and external creative presentations.
- Able to bring a large measure of creativity and initiative to both preproduction and production concept tasks and adapt swiftly to new themes as directed by the team.
- Proven track record for outstanding concept ideation and execution.
- Outsourcing reviewing and communication experience.
- Asset management experience required.
- Good time management skills, Ability to provide oversight to multiple timelines, self-manage and meet deadlines, able to work unsupervised for long periods and able to supervise others.
- Must be able to work under pressure and within quick timelines.
- Mature and trustworthy professional as the role may require exposure to confidential materials.
- Must be proficient in presentation software and have working knowledge of PowerPoint and Keynote.
- Rigging and/or 3D Animation experience preferred.