You will help us manage and improve our data pipeline to collect, store, process and analyze huge sets of data. You will look at how we can more efficiently transfer data and how we can improve the performance of our data visualization systems. You will have the opportunity to work on some of our machine learning projects as you grow and will report to our Director of Growth.
You’ll be working on our data/growth team, also known as Team Narwhal (all our teams are named after sea creatures ). You will join a group of talented engineers and data scientists just scraping the surface of how we use data and machine learning within our games.
Things You Will Work On:
- Designing and implementing large scale data management systems
- Working closely with our team of talented engineers to develop and integrate features into our existing infrastructure
- Creating tools to translate large amounts of data into actionable insights
- Using machine learning, data mining, and graph analysis to dig into data
- Analysing top charts for mobile games
Who You Are:
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals in algorithms and data structures
- You have experience working with large scale code base
- You have experience working with big data
- You have SQL and relational database skills
- You are an excellent communicator in both written and oral forms
Tell Us if You:
- Have worked with real-time or large scale data
- Have experience with Hadoop, Spark,Hive,BigQuery, AWS, Kafka
- You have experience in statistical modelling, machine learning, data mining and graph analysis
- Hold a BSc., MSc., or Ph.D. in Statistics, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or equivalent
- Have contributed to an open source project
- Launched your own iPhone, Android, or Facebook app
- Have some industry software engineering experience
While All our Apes are Different, to Thrive Here You Should:
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail, you experiment and learn from your mistakes
A Thinking Ape is an independent mobile games startup with big ambitions. We are a team of 60 people, though sometimes we call ourselves apes + 1-3 dogs (depending on the day), growing in the heart of downtown Vancouver. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together. So far taco bars are our favourite tacos , but we're open to new suggestions.
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: both our team and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating games that become a part of our player’s lives. But building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give them the freedom to do their best work.
We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape meetings, mid-quarter updates with our Directors, monthly Ask a Founder Fridays, and regular one-on-ones with your team lead.
Looking for more information? Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today and learn about our culture by following #thisisata on social. Listen to co-founder Kenshi Arasaki talk about what it’s like to work here.
We value passion and diversity and believe that our differences make us better as a collective. If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!