Senior Unity Developer for the AdVenture Capitalist team
Outline of the Role
Do you live to play and develop video games? Then this opportunity might be right for you! Developer-driven Kelowna studio Hyper Hippo (creators of AdVenture Capitalist) seeks seniorUnity Developer. The Hyper Hippo team created AdVenture Capitalist, and is working on more cool video games. The successful candidate is a strong programmer who would work with client-side and server-side programmers to make awesome multi-platform games. Hyper Hippo is an indie-type studio where management doesn’t get in your way, you’re not restricted to only develop avatars or chats; you get to design the whole game, with the support of artists, sound and UI guys. Once you have something ready to test, you can bring it straight to your circle of players without a lengthy approval process.
● Computer Science/Software Engineering degree or equivalent work experience
● 2+ years commercial experience with Unity and C# (school projects are valuable, but we’re
looking for more experience)
● 5+ years game programming – you know all best practices
● Proficiency in both 2D and 3D game development
● Ability to interface with RESTful HTTP data services for authentication, player data, etc.
● Experience providing cross-device solutions that address performance, reliability, security, and
● Implementing analytics into a game
● Having launched one or more titles on iOS, Android, or Web
● Knowledge and expertise in making networked multiplayer games is an asset, but not required;
Photon or uLink is a plus
Other Useful Skills
● Git SCM
● Build Pipelines, specifically Jenkins/Hudson
● Agile/Scrum development
● Asset Packages and dynamic content loading
● Server administration (Apache or nginx configuration)
● Understanding of FTP
Attitude and Personality
● Must LOVE video games (you will be tested!)
● Creativity—everyone here gets to design the games we make
● Ability to rapidly prototype game ideas, but also write production ready code when needed
● Self-sufficiency, ability to unblock yourself, do your own R&D and create solutions
● Ability to write code that is easy to read and debug
● Proactive in sharing knowledge with peers
● Strong work ethic - ensuring products are in a shippable state before communicating that it is
● Strong communicator sharing project status, dependencies, risks, costs, and options
● Competitive salary
● Health Benefits
● 3 weeks vacation
● 10 personal days per year
● Annual self -development budget to attend conferences, courses, training – you name it!
What’s it like to be a Hippo…?
Well, you would get to be a part of a team that values collaboration and the creative freedom to produce and make games in a studio that oozes work ethic & creative ‘crazy’. Hippo’s hang out, they understand that being a part of something that is bigger than "one" is just super rewarding … and it’s fun. Yeah, we have the ‘usual’; foosball & ping pong, but we also have the u nusual in a game studio that goes beyond perks and free snacks, we actually "LIKE" and respect each other, and celebrate the uniqueness that we all rock!
We trust and value each other’s opinions and are stoked when we all succeed and share in that wild ride, because success is not easy. Our tribe is definitely unlike most and we want to keep it that way, we like it unusual, a little weird and a lot bold. Interested? …sweet, we’d love to see what you’ve been up to and where you’d like to see yourself go.
We envision a world where our global community is always excited to play our next game.
We believe entrepreneurs will rally passionate teams to grow the best games.