The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency is looking for a Senior Character Artist to provide leadership and hands-on art creation to an unannounced Unreal Engine based game. The role will work closely with the Creative Director, Art Director, Engineers, Designers and Tech Artists to bring characters to life in the game.The role will be a mix of hands on creation of assets as well as helping direct other artists to achieve the visual targets. The ideal candidate has a good balance of creative and technical abilities across all aspects of character creation and optimization.If you play lots of AAA and indie games, have strong opinions on how to drive character art quality and like to jump between creating, directing and integrating art … please keep reading!
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Take 2D drawings and 3D proxy meshes and translate them into high quality, playable character art including props and accessories in a realism-based art pipeline
- Work w/ the concept team to decide which character components need concept art and which concepts are approved for 3D production
- Create 3D assets
- Help redefine the character art pipeline to include Substance and / or any other emerging quality boosting tools. Own and improve the pipeline for character creation.
- Work with art director, tech art and engineering teams to set performance standards for each character as they relate to the gameplay and environment
- Integrate and give feedback on other art assets created internally or externally and ultimately get them into each the character pipeline and ensure quality and uniformity.
- Integrate other source assets like animation, vfx and sfx assets into the Unreal Engine as necessary
- Anticipate the needs of character creation pipeline and suggest tools to help optimize the creation process
- Demonstrated experience building characters to a high quality
- Demonstrated experience interpreting 2D concepts into 3D playable art
- Expert level knowledge of Maya
- Demonstrated knowledge of working in the Unreal engine
- Z-Brush or other sculpting tools
- Worked on at least 2 games, ideally at least 2 in Unreal
- Experience working w/ scanned data
- Ability to help diagnosis art optimization issues
- Experience working w/ external art development teams is a plus
- Avid gamer with opinions on how to improve games
- Experience and interest in emerging tools like scanning, PBR, etc… always looking to improve quality or efficiency.
Benefits & Perks:
- An extremely low co-pay for medical, dental and optical insurance for you and your family
- 401k program with no vesting period
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health and child care
- Our studio is in a historic building in the thriving downtown San Diego Gaslamp district
- Free downtown 24 hour parking