The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency is looking for a Lead Artist to provide leadership and hands-on art creation to an unannounced Unreal Engine based game. The role will work closely with the Creative Director, Art Director, Animators and Tech Artists to bring 3d characters and props to life in the game.
The role will be a mix of hands on creation of assets as well as helping lead other artists to achieve the look visual quality and schedule targets. The ideal candidate has a good balance of creative and technical abilities across all aspects of environment creation and optimization.
If you play lots of AAA and indie games, have strong opinions on how to drive art quality and like to jump between creating, leading and integrating art … please keep reading!
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Take a mix of 2D drawings, 3D design meshes and other reference and translate them into high quality, playable art including characters, props, hero set pieces and more with the art team.
- Lead the character and character component pipeline and work with the team of artists on and offsite to achieve quality and schedule goals
- Work w/ the concept team, Art Director and other 3D artists to set the requirements of concept art for the project
- Create realistic 3D assets when necessary using PBR pipeline
- Help define the 3D art pipeline
- Work with Art Director, Tech Artists and Engineering teams to set performance standards for the game and how they relate to the look
- Integrate other source assets like animation, vfx and sfx assets into the Unreal Engine as necessary
- Help diagnosis art optimization issues
- Anticipate the needs of the 3D creation pipeline and suggest tools to help optimize the creation process
- Demonstrated experience building PBR based assets
- Demonstarated experience leading a team of artists
- Demonstrated experience interpreting 2D concepts into 3D playable art
- Expert level knowledge of Maya
- Demonstrated knowledge of working in the Unreal Engine
- A gamer that’s passionate about art
- Worked on at least 2 games, ideally one in Unreal
- Able to contribute to VFX, animation or other related fields is a big plus
- Experience working w/ external art development teams
- Avid gamer with opinions on how to improve games
- Experience building or using world builder game tools (eg. Houdini Engine) to develop art for games
Benefits & Perks:
- An extremely low co-pay for medical, dental and optical insurance for you and your family
- 401k program with no vesting period
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health and child care
- Our studio is in a historic building in the thriving downtown San Diego Gaslamp district
- Free downtown 24 hour parking